free website stats program Coil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Coil?

173ABN

93 heritage has been running great then I had been out for about a hour stopped for a short time and then would not start. Engine turns fine, pulled air cleaner carb is shooting fuel, pulled plugs and does not seem to be getting spark, After about a half hour started up and ran fine for abourt 15 minutes then cut off, same thing has fuel and no spark, let set about 15 minutes (in the rain) then started up after 2 more times made it home. next day started up fine, did not ride. It was very warm the day it acted up 94 degrees. When I say it wasnt getting spark I mean I could not see any from the plug wire or the plug but did not have very many tools with me. Is there a way to check the coil or could it be something else?

Sounds like the coil.The coil gets hot and breaks down, let it cool and runs ok .Same symptoms on a car.

Thanks thats what I was thinking I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything else that could cause the same symptoms

The ignition module and sensor plate can also have a heat sensitive problem.
When the bike quits you can take the timing cover off and spray the nose of the sensor with a coolant spray obtainable from a electronic supply house and if bike fires back up replace the sensor plate, you can also heat up the engine and apply heat to the sensor from a heat gun (not too hot) and if engine dies the sensor is the problem. You can do the same test on the module also.

Ordered the coil today from the Harley dealership will take 7-10 to get it. oh well a cold front is here this week

Check the coil as well as all electrical parts with an ohm meter against the manufactures values it will take the guess work out and save u money and u will learn how to trouble shoot to boot good luck

Chopper and Jack K have you covered, as finding an intermittant problem you will use Chopper' approach first on the bike, and try to disturb things as little as possible. Only if you localize do you use Jack' approach disturbing only one thing at a time as it could be the wiring, coil or ignition module, even an errant connector.

Just remember an old saying "--you can test things to find something bad, but not necessarily test if something is good, especially if intermittant..."! It is like quality assurance says " --you cannot test or inspect IN quality, it has to be there already..."!

for around $250 you can upgrade to the dyna 2000 ign and single fire coil and your bike will love you , starts are instant

OK guys I found the problem afte heating and the cooling and found it is the sensor plate and the local HD has one how do I change the plug? The new one will not have a plug and I will have to cut the old one to get it out. Any ideas THANKS THANKS

Do you have a picture of the plug? Most plugs have a barb or pin that retains the contacts within the connector shell, allowing you to change one contact/wire at a time so as to not cross up the color code/position. Be patient, and ask the parts guy or shop tech for info. If you have a good relationship with your local dealer, they will even printout the Service Note/Instructions just to keep you happy (your part may even have an instruction if you do not have a tech manual.

Back