free website stats program Coil with points vs coil with electronic | Harley Davidson Forums

Coil with points vs coil with electronic

illusionrider

I got a bike that had an electronic start and it didn't work. The guy I brought it to changed it over to points. Should he have changed the coil too. Just wondering if it should have a different one for points cause now my coil went out. Not sure what to get

I do not think that it should matter what the trigger system for the coil is the same coil should work with points and electronic triggers
Points are simple in the way they work and require regular maintenance as the cam follower wears and the points gap closes every time the gap is adjusted the ignition timing needs adjusted to suit
Power flows through the coil (creating a magnetic field in the coil) through the points to ground when the points open the power flow is stopped which collapses the magnetic field in the coil, the collapsing magnetic field is captured by the coil core and redirected to the spark plugs an creates the spark
When electronic ignition is used sensors are in place of the points which send a trigger pulse to the ignition module the ignition module cuts the power flow through the coil and so a spark is created

Things do get a wee bit more complicated than that so the correct coil for the bike should work with either system unless something else has changed
Heat , vibration and time are not good for a coil and they do die

Brian

There are differences in coils for points versus some electronic ign. systems. A points coil requires a 5 ohm coil. Most electronics are a 3 ohm coil. Now I run a Dyna DS6-1 system on my Shovel which calls for a 5 ohm coil for street but a 3 ohm for racing. I run the 5 ohm
coil. Other more sophisticated systems like a Crane HI-4 probably call for the 3 ohm coil. New Twin cams are a 0.5 ohm coil, hole different can of Worms.
tourbox

Even tho points are old tech, I like them for simplicity in replacing and trouble shooting, carry a spare set and condenser and you are good to go
Tourbox has given you the correct info on coils:s

Thanks guys and my bike is a 1981 FXS lowrider had electronic I'm wondering if it would make more sence to put an electronic back in. Idk

Back