free website stats program coil problems? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

coil problems?

Does this bike have VOES spark advance..

yes it has the voes. I check it by squessing the vacum hose close and notice the change. I haven't check the peatock or drain the tank yet. I felt like if it was a problem I would notice it more at {wot} than at idle and low throttle. it is however on my list of things to do. cam sensor pick-up is up top on my list also. hate to throw money away, so i'll check the least costly things first. if I can find a volt meter I will check the coil out. thanks for that advice, and thank you all for your help.

I felt like if it was a problem I would notice it more at {wot} than at idle and low throttle. .

If what was a problem, you would notice it more at WOT.

I check it by squessing the vacum hose close and notice the change. .

I would go back and re-check that voe's vacuum switch just to be sure. If you pinch it off, the vacuum switch should not bleed down immediately. I believe the vacuum switch is "dead headed". Meaning the switch does not have a designed bleed vent for quick response. If you were to squeeze off it's vacuum source, the switch should actually hold that vacuum for a period of time. It sounds like the switch itself may have a vacuum leak. If you have a MityVac I would check it.

At idle vacuum is applied to the VOES switch and spark advance is applied. If you were to pinch off the hose with duck-bill pliers, that vacuum really should hold. It really should not bleed down quickly if it not a vented switch which I am almost certain it is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a needle nose pliers and pinch off the hose going to the voes. it change instantly. are you saying it shouldn't have change so quickly? I have no way of checking the bleed down. I'll read this post on "voes switch explained" and see if I can learn something about it.

Read the post in regards to the VOES...
At idle the vacuum is at the high point and sudden throttle openings drops the vacuum to a low point activating the switch.

This part in particular...

The VOES is a normally open vacuum operated switch that closes under 3-5" of vacuum, are adjustable and usually require different settings for different bikes. The switch is connected to a lead from the ignition module. Under high vacuum, 3-5 inches or higher, the switch closes. A lead from the switch to ground closes a circuit in the ignition module. This circuit advances the timing of the spark. The advance increases throttle response and decrease fuel consumption and emissions.

haven't check the peatock or drain the tank yet. I felt like if it was a problem I would notice it more at {wot} than at idle and low throttle. it is however on my list of things to do..

Once again. "If what is a problem".

Once again. "If what is a problem".

"I felt like if it was a problem"

"IT".... cant you see that Hoop ? :lolrolling

I had a problem with "IT" once and found out I had the wrong color and size installed. I took "IT" off and returned "IT" to the dealer and they replaced "IT" then I reinstalled "IT" and everything was OK then.

Glider, I am so envious of you. You get to do and say everything I WANT to but CAN'T. Thank you for helping me out!:s

I thought IT was always the problem, just like THEY are responsible for all of the world's problems.

Back