free website stats program Coil and Horn Relocation | Harley Davidson Forums

Coil and Horn Relocation

Shifter

Thought I would relocate my horn and coil. Helped clean up the left side of the bike and help with the engine cooling behind the engine. I relocated the horn to the rear tire splashguard area and then put the coil in place behind the cowbell horncover. I still have a little more to do. Also, there are a couple more pictures in my album, if interested.

1st Picture - bike as bought
2000 fatboy.jpg
2nd Picture - Bike with horn and coil relocated
002.jpg
3rd Picture - Area behind rear jug opened up with coil/bracket/seat post removed
003.jpg
4th Picture - Bike after modification
004.jpg

Looks good. How did you mount the coil to the cowbell? did it just bolt right up? And that's a sweet paint job.

I like the coil location (as long as you don't want a Lenale fan).

Did I miss it or did you not post the horn ?

Looks good. How did you mount the coil to the cowbell? did it just bolt right up? And that's a sweet paint job.

The coil is mounted to riveted brackets inside the cowbell, with a piece across the bottom of the coil bolted to the brackets. Not the prettiest, but a solid mount inside the cowbell, and not noticeable once mounted on the bike. I also had to extend the coil wiring to make the switch over to the new location.

Did I miss it or did you not post the horn ?

The horn is pretty much out of sight and was the easiest swapover. It's more or less under the battery box area mounted on the foward face of the rear tire fender splash guard. There's really no way to get a picture of it now and no wiring extending/splicing was necessary.

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks SixPak and Dswartz for the comp's on the paint kob. It's one of Harley's numbered paint jobs. I guess the previous owner had the fenders and tank swapped out at one time. Bike originally came in the black set-up.

Nice looking idea. I am not trying to tell you what to do, but you may want to install a pigtail jumper wire from the frame of the coil to the frame of the bike if your still using the rubber cowbell isolator. Depending on the coil you have, the cowbell rubber isolator can make the coil appear it's floating in air without a proper ground return.

It is really needed if your ignition system is single fire. The jumper is not really needed if your dual fire because the "other spark plug" provides the ground path for the secondary winding of the coil.

Either way, I would install one. It can Not hurt having one installed. Just like the horn had it's own ground wire when isolated, so does the coil.

Back