free website stats program Codes P0261 & P0263 on an 07 Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Codes P0261 & P0263 on an 07 Sportster

I have a 2007 883 Sportster that I absolutely love. No performance problems noted and the bike runs strong with 4,000 original miles on it. I am the 2nd owner. I recently noticed the check engine light came on for about 7 seconds after a start up then extinguished but have noticed no performance or starting problems. The codes I found were P0261 and P0263. I cleared them, started up and drove it about 2 hours the next day. The same codes came back. This started after I did 2 things differently, 1), I started using a battery tender on the battery for precautionary measures, 2), I put the stock baffels back in my Vance & Hines Short Shot exhaust system for more sound. (I had been running the quiet baffles.) Other than that nothing else was done. Am I looking at a weak battery or something else? The bike starts flawlessly every time. Thanks for looking at this thread.

Is there any type of tuner on the bike? Is wire bail on connector securely
attached to the fuel injector? Check connections.
Perform a WIGGLE TEST to check for intermittents. Intermittents present?
P0261 Front injector open/low
P0263 Rear injector open/low
ECM fuse and system relay failures or wiring harness problems
will cause 12 volt power to be lost to both injectors, ignition
coils and fuel pump.

Thanks. I'll check out any possibility of intermittents and connections this evening. I also planned to drop over to my dealer and have a chat with them next week to pick their brains about this one. Like I said, the bike runs perfect, I just don't like the idea of that little yellow light staring at me during the start up cycle, LOL. No tuner hardware or SW is on the bike.

Chopper has you covered. Look really good at the system relay and system relay socket. Pull it and check the receiving socket for any corrosion or electrolysis. If everything looks good, I would consider changing it since you really can't check the points inside the relay.

While you there at the fuse panel, check all of the fuses for electrolysis (white powder). I was amazed at what I found only after 6 months with a new bike. Your loosing B+ somewhere.

I agree Hoople, both Chopper and You have given me super pointers. I will be checking these ideas out. I'll also keep a sharp eye and ear turned for discrepencies on start up like no fuel pump pre-pressure run and such. I haven't went through the relay and fuse panel yet but I agree, we must be dropping B+ for an instant somewhere in the process. Sometimes it's something small that causes the irritating errors. (After 20+ years as an IBM tech support engineer this has always proven true.) Thanks Hoople.

Problem solved. I stopped by the HD shop to pick up a system relay and while I was there queried them about a new battery. (2007 with an original battery, maybe time for a fresh one?) I bought a new one charged it up and as I was removing it to be replaced found a loose connection on both + and - terminals. (Can anyone say "rookie move"?) I replaced the battery and threw in a new system relay for grins and giggles while I was in the neighborhood. Started it up, no more check engine light. I'm pretty sure it was the battery connection and not the system relay. Hey, now I have a fresh battery for this summer so I'm good to go! I'll go out and put a few miles on it this weekend just verify. Thanks Hoople, Hobbit & Chopper. Happy riding!

I'm happy to report that I put 25 miles on her this evening and she didn't throw me any error codes. (Previously this would have happened right after start up or shortly there after.) For $11.25, it's chump change, I'm keeping the new system relay in for grins and giggles. Yes Hoople, Chop' life is good. A new Battery, 75 degrees tomorrow and you can bet I'll be taking some time away from the office and stirring up the locals with those short shots. ;) Thanks again.

Glad you got the problem sorted. Do use HD dielectric grease on all the terminal connections as well as the relay contacts after they have been cleaned with alcohol or tuner/control wash from your local Radio Shack or electronics store. This will prevent water intrusion and corrosion Hoop was talking about.

Back