free website stats program Code U1016, Bike cuts out | Harley Davidson Forums

Code U1016, Bike cuts out

road2004king

My 2004 Road King, (65,000 miles) decided to cut out on me on the highway and when I start it at an idle, it shuts off. It's a serial data code, but in an attempt to eliminate the ECU, TSSM, I swapped my friend's stuff and it did the same thing. I think there may be a power interuption in data transfer to the computer, which will not point out exactly what wire.
Has anyone else had a problem with this, and if I have to replace the ECU wiring harness, will this resolve my problem.

Before swapping any parts, I would go over the entire wiring system. It sounds like a loose or intermittent connection somewhere in the serial bus system that feeds the bike.

I understand there is a loose connection or a broken wire somewhere within the serial data transfer wiring. I'm thinking this would require me to put an ohm test to each wire, which would require me to unplug every socket or connection that transfers data.
I just thought my local Harley dealer would have an easy way to do this, but they don't seem to want to go out of the way.
Looking at the schemtic, some wires seem to branch off, does the ohm test, test the whole wire even if it branches off?

You physically have to test each section by itself and the ohms test will show good even if there is a slight connection. You have to wiggle and move the wires while watching the meter to see if it moves. Best done with a digital meter.

Keep it simple first, check and clean the battery connections, remove each fuse 1 at a time to see that they are clean where they plug in the box, pull the console up to inspect the harness to the ignition switch, these can work them self loose, look for any corrosion, with the battery disconnected unplug the computer and look at each pin, follow your grounds and clean them. After the easy checks are done look at the harness where it is strapped to the frame for pinched / broken wires, than spend the time ohm testing, most wire problems are at the retaining locations and the ends where the crimping is done, check power and ground to the computer and further if needed. Sometimes my techs jump over the kiss part [keep it simple stupid] and spend allot of chasing the ghost thing

Back