free website stats program Code 44 bank angle sensor | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Code 44 bank angle sensor

Hoople, thanks for the advice I'll get the electrical manual and I guess I'll get a scanner to clear the code, with the age of my ride I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities to use it again. I'll keep you posted.
Gus

Hoople,
I think I found the problem with the sputtering, three weekends ago I changed out the cam bearings, when I was done I noticed that the idle was low and the motor didn't sound the same as it did before the bearing change, however the bike was running fine. I didn't mentioned it before cuz I didn't think the BAS had anything to do with timing or idle, but when the sputtering started it got me thinking so this past weekend I opened up the nose cone and checked the cam and crank sprocket alignment and found that they were off by a tooth. after i put everthing back together I took the bike for a test ride and the bike sputtered some but not as bad as before, I checked the spark plugs and they were both black, which meant the motor was running rich and fouled the plugs, after I chenged them no more sputtering.
I still can't explain what timing has to do with the BAS and what could have triggered the dtc 44, but it looks like both dtc's 44 and 41 are historical and the bike is back to normal, I really apreciate assistance you provided me to get this problem resolved.
Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
This illustrates the point of what was the last thing you did to the bike prior to the problem arising
As it can often help with the diagnosis of the problem
Thanks for passing on the fix

Brian

I really don't understand the "cause and effect" that went on during this bug. My guess would be 1 tooth was way more than 4* of rotation which should have resulted in more than a sputter. Especially if the engine went way rich (?)

On top of that a code 44 posts and then clears from cams being out of time. (?)

I have this bad feeling about this one coming back. But by then the check will have cleared!! :D

Brian,
I've learned my lesson.

Hoople
I agree that's what threw me off, the bike was running fine other than the low idle until it started sputtering two weeks after, one good thing came from this is that I finally got an excuse (not that I needed one :D) to order a TFI to adjust the idle and with that I also had to order a tach so I don't have to guess the RPM's. I'll deal with the tdc 44 if it comes back.

Gus

Back