free website stats program Code 41 and code 56 | Harley Davidson Forums

Code 41 and code 56

MrSleepy

I have a 2000 roadking classic {FLHRIC} last weekend, I rode with some friends and put about 350 miles on the bike, sunday on the way home. I was idling around a building and it died.. tried to start and it wouldn't start. finally I gave her alittle throttle and she came alive. when I got home I noticed that the engine light was on. this morning I figure I would pull her out and put her in some shade and see if I could find out what the problem was. code 41 { camshaft sensor and code 56 { crankshaft sensor} it wouldn't start..about six months ago I had the camshaft sensor replaced , Plus I did away with the cam tensioner and chain, and went with the gears about a eight months ago.. according to what I've read, I have to remove the tank and the exhaust to get to the crankshaft sensor, And I thought I would get on here and see what your thinking was. and hopefully get some DO'S and DON'T from you before I dig into it.. thanks inadvance for all your help.. Tom.

Would it be possible you have not started the bike more than 50 times since you replaced the cam sensor.
I'm thinking the cam sensor code is left over from the last repair (was never cleared) and the current or new code is only the crankshaft sensor error code.
If the code was historical, the check light would not come on while riding.

I maybe wrong but I thought the crank position sensor was located at the font left side of crank case at the bottom. don't see why would have to remove tank and exhaust

Hoople, I am thinking like you that the code 41 Cam sensor is a old code. and the 56 crank sensor is my problem.. Lord Harold, I havn't dug into it yet, I had some things to do today,and havn't started on it yet. In the book it say's you have to remove the seat to disconnect the battery. and remove exhaust and the fuel tank.. I have no idea other then what the book say's.. That is the main reason I posted on here to get some insight on what I was getting into and maybe get some tips from some of the Mech's on here.. its pretty darn hot out there right now. I'm goin to wait till it starts cooling down alittle then goin to get out there.. Thanks for your help .

I may be wrong but the cable connector for the crank sensor is the hard part to get at. Later models is real easy to change (takes 10 minutes) but early models, I think had a time consuming cable issue.
Removing the exhaust does sound a bit much to me.

I read the book wrong I was looking under a 1999 mine is a 2000. I just need to remove the exhaust and the seat it looks like the toughest part will be routing the cable. I can't get the new sensor untill next weekend so I thk I will wait untill then to take it down. I will let you all know how it turns out ..thanks for all your help and support. This is a awesome site... Tom
WAP.gif

I got the Crank Sensor changed and the old girl fired up.. I did'nt have to remove the exhaust and other then the problem with the connector it was a easy fix.. thanks for your help..

Good deal! great to hear you got the girl going. had that same issue a little while ago on a 00 flstf but was reversed iit was the cam sensor.

yea from what I read in the book I thought it was goin to be tough. So far I've had the bike for two years. and the first problem was the speed sensor, then the cam sensor, then I had the cam tensioner fixed by having gears put it and did away with the chain and tensioner's.. Now the crank sensor.. I'm hoping I'll be good for along while.. lol.. Thanks again for all the help.

Back