free website stats program Coast to Coast | Harley Davidson Forums

Coast to Coast

Well I started a trip that I have been wanting to take for a LONG time. I am going to ride to the west coast from my home in Virginia. We left yesterday 7-5-09 at 5:30 pm. A really late start but we ended up with a few things that needed taken care of. We are headed to Texas first and will be there till Friday or Saturday. The wife is going to fly home and I am going to head west. Here is a link of the route, but alot of it is subject to change.

3571 Pineview Dr, VA 23139 to 3571 Pineview Dr, Powhatan, Virginia 23139 - Google Maps

The pins are kinda what I think I may ride per day. I truthfully think it will take a few extra days but I had to start somewhere.

Day 1 07/05/09

Left in the rain. I do think this is the first time I have left the house on a trip that I have worn the rainsuit out of the barn.

First gas stop about 10 miles from home.
firstgasstop.jpg

We rode 330 miles to Asheville, NC. This is the next morning and my side kick Devil Duck is ready to roll.
asheville.jpg

Day 2 07/06/09

By the way the wife is in a car that we are going to be leaving in Texas. Leaving Asheville headed west on I-40 the clouds were thick and I thought it might start raining at any time. I was very lucky and it only sprinkled enough to make the road wet. I never put on a coat or my rain suit.

At a rest stop on the western edge of NC the clouds rolled in fast these pics were taken about 10 min. apart
reststopcloud1.jpg

reststopcloud2.jpg

In Tennesse on the way to Knoxville
knoxvillesign.jpg

We stopped in Knoxville and called a friend who met us for lunch. Devil Duck came out from his hiding spot to get in the picture.
RichardandI.jpg

Leaving Tennessee Caroline got this picture of me and a neat building.
lasttennesee.jpg

Entering Arkansas, going over the Mighty Mississippi River.
Arkansas.jpg

The sun setting over a rice field in Arkansas.
ricefieldsunset.jpg

Well we did 330 miles yesterday and 650 miles today and stopped South of Little Rock, AR. A little less than 600 miles to do tomorrow, piece of cake..... lol

Very cool - ride safe and keep us updated so we can continue to be extremely jealous!

I took a quick look at your route and have one suggestion. When you get to the Reno area, turn south and do at least part of the loop around Lake Tahoe. It is gorgeous. Then you can ride south and west out of the Tahoe area and ride one of many roads through some beautiful mountains and still get into the Sacramento area without having to waste a lot of time on the super slab.

Looks like a great trip. Wish I was with you.
To add to Doc's suggestion... I-80 between Reno and Sac is under alot of construction, and there is a detour onto hwy 20 into Nevada City/Grass Valley. Unless you need to go through Sac, you can stay on hwy 20 right to hwy 101. Or that trip to Tahoe might be good idea, say from Reno to Carson City, then hwy 50 into Sac.
Anyway, stay safe and best to you from Mendocino County Ca.

Well we made it to Bulverde, TX. Man did it get hot today in Texas. I didn't realize that I had gotten so UNaclimated to the heat. Did 650 miles again today but did I say the heat killed me. Didn't take tons of pictures cause we used to live here and have alot from around here. I do wish I would have taken some of the corn fields we passed. They are having a really bad drought and the fields are just dead. Left Little Rock at 8:00 am and didn't stop till the Texas border about 140 miles.

the texas welcome sign was missing dure to all the road construction at the border. these were from the welcome center.
DSC01581-1.jpg

Who is this bad looking guy with a rubber duck on his shoulder?
DSC01583.jpg

Carooline pulled up beside me and took this one. I thought this was pretty cool, how many of us have a picture of ourselves rolling down the road?
DSC01586.jpg

I did stop before getting into Dallas. This is Lake Ray Hubbard, the Dallas skyline is in the distance you just can't see it in the little version.
DSC01588.jpg

I also stopped to pay my respects to my mother. This is at the entrance of the DFW National Cemetery.
DSC01590.jpg

At her grave. She passed Thanksgiving day of 2008, man do I miss her. I Love You Mom.
DSC01597.jpg

The view.
DSC01600.jpg

This is the Dallas Baptist University That is right next to the cemetery.
DSC01603.jpg

No pictures from Dallas to Bulverde but I will ride thru this area again Sunday or Monday. Not riding anywhere tomorrow, we have some business to attend to. But I might ride out to Gruene Harley and I will try and take some pics of the area. I understand the river is almost dry. Its really sad cause there are alot of toobing companies that depend on the river to make money.

I really like the ideas from you guys. My route is just a guide and I want ideas on how to make it better. I will try and ride around lake Tahoe that sounds fun and I do not need to ride thru Sac so I will stay on 20 to 101.

We stopped for a couple of hours tonight just south of Austin to have some dinner and I needed to cool off. We got back on 35 just to get stuck in construction for about 45 min. The bike and I got hot all over again. Did I say it was hot today? I believe it was 98 or so.

More to follow..............................

Back