free website stats program Clutch | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch

zyepod

When your adjusting the clutch does it grab more the further you screw the adjustment in or the less. Example... You back the adjustment off until it's not touching then you screw in back in until you feel it touch then back it back back out about a half to one full turn. The reason I ask is I've adjust mine using this method and I've felt it slip a couple of times when accelerating hard.

the farther you turn the screw in the more it will slip as when you tighten down the nut and adj the cable it will all ready have preloaded it some ..

Also what mods have you had done?

the farther you turn the screw in the more it will slip as when you tighten down the nut and adj the cable it will all ready have preloaded it some ..

Also what mods have you had done?

Hum... I'm thinking I may have miss adjusted it... I noticed it was grabbing further out than before. Shoot there was nothing wrong with it before I adjusted it. I just called myself fine tuning it... Think I'll give it another shot. I wanted to change my Primary Cover anyway...

W. The reason I ask is I've adjust mine using this method and I've felt it slip a couple of times when accelerating hard.

When you make the adjustment, it is Imperative that the entire engine/clutch assembly be stone cold. I could not believe how much temperature made on the adjustment. I tried it both ways just to see and the difference was the entire adjustment amount!

Hum... I'm thinking I may have miss adjusted it... I noticed it was grabbing further out than before. Shoot there was nothing wrong with it before I adjusted it. I just called myself fine tuning it... Think I'll give it another shot. I wanted to change my Primary Cover anyway...
========================
Do you have the 1/16" (thickness of a quarter) freeplay at the lever? If you don't have freeplay, the clutch is preloaded, and will slip.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you make the adjustment, it is Imperative that the entire engine/clutch assembly be stone cold. I could not believe how much temperature made on the adjustment. I tried it both ways just to see and the difference was the entire adjustment amount!
Make sure to follow the directions, my friend didn't realese the adjustment nut on his clutch handle and ran into the same problem. Make sure your put all the play in the handle avalible prior to adjusting the clutch rod end play at the clutch hub, after adjusting the end paly then readajust the handle play to the proper 1/16th to 1/8th" as mentioned by Breeze. Do all of the adjustments cold and make sure the cables don't bind or pull when the handle bars are turned.

When your adjusting the clutch does it grab more the further you screw the adjustment in or the less. Example... You back the adjustment off until it's not touching then you screw in back in until you feel it touch then back it back back out about a half to one full turn. The reason I ask is I've adjust mine using this method and I've felt it slip a couple of times when accelerating hard.

Just as a side note; for most people, adjusting the screw out 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn will be fine. If you want your bike to start moving sooner adjust the screw out a full round or maybe a bit more. I like mine to start moving when the clutch lever is about 1" away from the bar. That is probably a little quick for most riders, so play with it until it feels right to you. Adjusting a Harley clutch is one of the easiest things you will have to do.

Back