free website stats program Clutch went south today | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch went south today

This is a little off the subject, but on my sporty I am trying to pull the primary cover off, and the cable out to remove it. When I gingerly opened the derby cover, adjustment "lock" just is a oval flat washer and spring? pushing a the nut is in a matching hex reflex and the screw adjustment is "loose as a goose".

Is that right? I expected a "real" locknut that was threaded, not a spring loaded round washer with two flats that easily slides in and out.

I don't ride that hard. And I noticed I thought I felt it slipping a little the other day. I checked the adjustment and all seemed fine. Yesterday the wife and I went for a little ride and as I went to pass a truck there was no dought it was slipping. Cooled it down overnight and checked it again. Adjustment seemed ok. Took it out solo and twisted the wick on it a bit and yes-sir-ree she is slipping.

I went thru this last year.Kept adjusting and checking and would go from slipping to jam the darn shifter to shift.Went ahead and ordered the parts thru J&p Cycles .I got the plates (both sets) and the compressor for half what oem were.Then had to order the "spring plate" as about 6 rivets were laying in the clutch basket. That was oem cause it was the same price and I could go pick it up.

Got a question... How much backlash should the transmission have in first gear? As soon at the cameras batteries charge I'll post how much movement I have.

Attachments

• basket0.JPG
    basket0.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 37
  • baske2t.JPG
    baske2t.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Where and how are you measuring the lash?

There is more than I would like to see in the drive line on all harleys.

:small3d031:No, I missed them, that seems a bit excessive IMO, does the clutch basket wobble at all? I think I would try to figure out where the slop is coming from before going any further.

:small3d031:No, I missed them, that seems a bit excessive IMO, does the clutch basket wobble at all? I think I would try to figure out where the slop is coming from before going any further.

that almost looks like the basket is gonna be cracked or ovaled out ..way to much slop used to see 4 wheelers crack a lot and do that

No wobble. Bearings seem to be smooth also.

Let me go check with my calipers. Be right back

Measured at 5 points. Within .002 to be perfectly concentric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back