free website stats program Clutch/Tranny Problem ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch/Tranny Problem ?

I am just about ready to go off the deep end over this.
It seemed that the clutch wasn't totally releasing on my 97 softail. As drove it and it warmed up the shifting even became harder. I set the clutch and cables exactly as the glider showed the fool-proof method said.
I then installed a new cable and readjusted it according to my harley manual and gliders method.
When the bike is running and I put it in gear the bike automatically goes forward. No amount of cable adjusting will stop the forward movement. It seems that the clutch stays fully engaged even though under the derby cover I can see it appear to release.
Help,Sturgis is only a week away.

I remove the tranny cover and worked the clutch.Eveythingappeared to work properly.I then removed the snap ring and the balls were in the correct places.What else could it be? Bad clutch plates?

I remove the tranny cover and worked the clutch.Eveythingappeared to work properly.I then removed the snap ring and the balls were in the correct places.What else could it be? Bad clutch plates?

Was the new clutch pack an OEM or aftermarket? Was it specific to your bike? Did it have the same number of friction/steel disks as came off? Did you put them in following the sequence in the book or instructions that came with the set? Did you presoak in your chosen Primary fluid?

TQ

Hey TQuenton,You are definitely a great asset to this forum.I never had the clutch apart until now. With your advice and a clutch spring tool I removed the clutch pack.What I found was that the middle spring plate is shot and falling apart.I went to the local Harley shop and bought new dlutch plates and the middle sping plate.I plan on getting up early tommorrow and tearing into it. Any advice,and yes these are OEM parts.Thanks I will let you know how it turns out.

You guys are doing all the work! We are just servin' up things to check on.

Glad you found the problem. Take your time, and follow the instructions especially on the order of the plates/friction disks. Also, you should "pre-soak your clutch pack in the fluid you are gonna use. I would recommend Formula + or Spectro Primary for that.

TQ

I pre-soaked the friction discs overnight,and assembled everything this morning.Its workin good so Sturgis is looking right around the corner.

Back