free website stats program clutch/tran issue after oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch/tran issue after oil change

hogsolo

T MAY JUST BE A COINCIDENCE, BUT...
I changed my engine oil mysef this time around ( 08 Nightster) with recommended 20-50w. Whatever oil was in there before was whatever standard oil the dealers had put in.
Now I have issues getting into neutral, sometiems it goes past 1st->2nd or 2nd->1st, or sometimes I cant shift at all. If I move the bike a bit I can then get into N.
Also, after this oil change, the motor sounds very different. I don'nt think there's anything broken, but can a heavier weight oil cause clutch/shifting problems?

thanks

now you only changed the engine oil right? would have nothing to do with clutch or tanns.. or did you change it to ?

Hogsolo, welcome to the HDForum and your first post. May want to retrace your steps changing the oil or the tranny on your Nightster (if similar to Sportster I believe)...look into this extract from the Self Help Tips section:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-3132.html

Engine Oil Change: FYI, may want to fabricate an oil filter drainage try to prevent spilling all over the engine motor mount and garage floor.

http://www.linson.us/harleydavidson/sportsters/bertshowto/berts_how_tos_oilchange.htm

Tranny, Clutch, Primary Case:

http://www.harleydavidsonmaintenance.com/sportster-transmission-oil.html

Last edited:
Did you change the tranny instead of engine. On my dyna you think where the oil plug should be is actualy the tranny plug.Do you have a manual?

It was the engine oil I changed. There's a drain plug/tube under the motor, it's pretty straightforward.

I THOUGHT the Nightster had a wet clutch that fed off the engine oil, but I could be incorrect.

It was the engine oil I changed. There's a drain plug/tube under the motor, it's pretty straightforward.

I THOUGHT the Nightster had a wet clutch that fed off the engine oil, but I could be incorrect.
YOU ARE! WRONG that is.

get your manual out and it will give you the answers READ IT FIRST before you do the EASY TO DO THINGS...

LOOK under self help and it will ALSO answer most of the questions you have.

WHEN YOU SAY,"It's pretty straightforward" BE CAREFUL cause it MAY NOT BE THAT WAY!!!

There are MORE than one drain plug on my bike,,,UNDER the MOTOR.

welcome........... read, ask and learn.

signed....BUBBIE

The Nightster has 2 oils just like Hobbit said. The engine is stand alone with its own oil that is stored up in the tank by the right side of the seat and is drained out underneath just in front of the back wheel via the little rubber hose. The primary and tranny share 1 qt of oil (preferably the Fromula +) and it is drained out the bottom of the primary case through the bolt drain hole.

Hogsolo, if its like the Sportster, you unclipped the oil drain hose and removed the end stopper and drained the Engine oil only.

You did not touch either the "hex nut/allen" primary chain adjuster, or the "trans/primary/clutch drain plug which tread into the tranny/case housing...correct? :coffee

Back