free website stats program Clutch Switch on 2010 FatBoy | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Switch on 2010 FatBoy

My Softail Heritage will & does start in gear (1st)... If bike has been setting more than a day, I'll pull in the clutch & push bike back & forth the be sure clutch disc are free & then hit the starter.... I don't like that loud clunk when dropping from neutral into 1st. It just don't sound good to me.
IF you clutch is adjusted Properly to 1/2 a turn OUT on the clutch pack and the cable is at 1/16"... You should be able to stop the clutch movement.

Try HOLDING in the clutch FULLY in after engine starts and LISTEN,,,,,,,You WILL hear the clutch PAUSE its movement after about 5/6 FULL seconds..
Then NO clunk at all and NOT as hard on the starter..

Starting in gear will like you do all the time,,,,Over Time IMO will show Early DEATH to the starter..

I'll start mine in gear, at a light or when it accidentally dies OR I killed it AND Need to Hurry and move but Not all the time..

signed....BUBBIE

I bought and installed a new set of chrome levers a month ago. I always start my bike in neutral, with the clutch pulled in to lessen drag on starter. Anyhow, this thread got me thinkin', and I went to the garage, put the EG in gear, pulled the clutch in and hit the starter. NOTHING,, hmmm, it used to start in gear with the clutch in. I pulled the clutch lever off and sure enough, my new lever does not have the "spur" for the safety switch. I'm attaching a couple of pics to help others understand.
The middle lever is the OEM '07 lever with the "spur" or "beak" for the switch. Top lever is the misrepresented aftermarket lever. Right is the front brake showing the tab for the brake light switch. The other picture is the clutch lever housing, showing the safety switch.

Attachments

• Brake lever clutch switch resized.jpg
    Brake lever clutch switch resized.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 11
  • brake switch resized.jpg
    brake switch resized.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 12
Hey Breeze, I did get one of the mini multi meters and it found a home on the trike. Didn't get a chance to pull apart the switch, will have to do it in the morning -- heading for Daytona on tuesday morning

Back