free website stats program Clutch Switch on 2010 FatBoy | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Switch on 2010 FatBoy

texas tom, No bike will start in gear with clutch in, but if switch goes out I don't want to find out at busy intersection "if" I kill engine with big truck coming. Just seems should be my option not somebody else's.
wilks3

This quote is out of the 2007 MODEL YEAR TECHNICAL FORUM when they first used the switch, it's still the same switch today. If your bike does not start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in, there's something wrong. When ever I've done a walk around with a new bike owner I always show them how it works, never had one that didn't.

Clutch Interlock Switch
• Clutch interlock switch functions as an “or” function with the neutral switch
• Switch verifies if the motorcycle is in neutral and if not, the clutch lever must be disengaged (pulled in) before motorcycle will start

Chopper, Thanks for info. Switch must have low amp pull used as a signal for interlock with neutral switch. I still wish you could get rid of it.
Thanks Chop!
wilks3

I just changed the bars on my 2010 ultra trike and now mine won't start unless in neutral, before I changed the bars it did start as long as the clutch was pulled in? whats up with this????

Most probably the switch is not "exactly" lined up as it was. Or a wire was un-plugged at switch.
wilks3
:USA

I put the same levers back on the bike, the wireing was spliced in the fairing, I don't know what you mean ( the switch might not be lined up?? )
Thanks for any info, Bruce ( I always liked it when all you had to do was pull the clutch in and hit the starter)

If the switch housings are not lined up when tightened this might cause your problem.
I had right sides lined up, or I thought, was gently tightening and gap seemed wrong, took screws back out, re-aligned, tightened up with no gap showing. I don't have a clue what was not lined up, but was wrong.
wilks3

Also, just for the heck of it, make sure the little tip that pushes in on the switch didn't get broke for some reason. You can hear switch "click" as you push in the tip. You could also check switch with multi-meter to make sure it's ok.
wilks3

I'm in florida for the month of march and don't have many tools with me, I'll have to go the radio shack and pick up a cheap multi meter and check it out -- thanks again, Bruce

Bruce; While at Radio Shack, check out the pocket multimeter. I think less than $20, about the size of credit card and 1/2" thick. I've had one in my tool kit for 10 years now. It's real handy to have.

Back