free website stats program Clutch sticking after lever replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch sticking after lever replacement

Lucy

I replaced my clutch lever with chrome and now it doesn't completely release back after being used. In other words, I pull the clutch in to shift and when I release the lever it doesn't return to the starting position.

Any suggestions? We already adjusted the cable and that didn't solve the problem.

Slack off on the cable again and check the anti rattle clip on the side of the clutch handle again. It may be binding in there.

i have this exact same problem after the dealer replaced my inner fairing on my 09 ultra. Will have to stop there and have them fix it.

On my 07 if you lok hard enough you can see a small piece of leather that keeps the lever from rattling.Sometimes this will dry out and needs a spot of grease or oil.That should correct your problem.

Sounds like either the clutch cable is binding/lack of lubricant or new lever not installed/assembled properly as the most likely cause. Do you have a service manual? Second would be improper final clutch adjustment, pull back the lower part of the clutch boot and use a couple wrenches to loosen locknut from barrel adjuster increasing the exposed threads (lower the end lever freeplay) to 1/8" to 3/16" movement. Gingerly move the locknut to lock barrel adjuster down. Turn the handlebars lock to lock and retest the freeplay and readjust if necessary.

If there are a lot of threads showing, you may have to do unscrew the main clutch adjuster under the derby cover, then adjust clutch with slight preload tension on handle to fine the proper clutch freeplay adjustment... Might want to see the video on clutch adjustment below for details.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/transmiss...drive_train/3273-clutch_adjustment_video.html

Back