free website stats program Clutch Spring | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Spring

Porter

I have a 2007 UC and I am looking into order replacement clutch plates.
According to the HD site there are 2 "kits":

37969-03A (metal plates, fiber discs and spring)
37980-10 (metal plates, fiber discs)

If I am going to do this work, should I replace the sping or use the old one?
My gut says replace it given that I would think heat would weaken the spring over time, but then I questioned why they would sell the spring seperately as well as with and without the plate/discs?

Thanks for any advice.

I

37969-03A (metal plates, fiber discs and spring)
37980-10 (metal plates, fiber discs)

Thanks for any advice.

According to my chart, both part numbers have same list price of $169.95.
I can't understand why that would be because it does not say 1 number was substituted?

According to my chart, both part numbers have same list price of $169.95.
I can't understand why that would be because it does not say 1 number was substituted?

I figured it may be a typo on the website, but Zannotti's lists both part numbers as the same price ($142). I'll try contacting my local dealer and see what they say...

Thanks for the reply Hoople!

When I do clutch work I dont like problems so I replace all internal parts and release parts as well as springs to ensure proper engauge and dis engaugement, why take chances JMO

When I do clutch work I dont like problems so I replace all internal parts and release parts as well as springs to ensure proper engauge and dis engaugement, why take chances JMO

I agree with you, and given how simple the spring is (in design) I would think that there would not be a problem using a new one. Maybe it is my bad luck, but I have had problems installing something "new" and it was defective from the start. It always makes me think, if it is not broken and works, don't replace it. Then I end up out thinking myself!:p

This weekend I am replacing the fuel filter and installing my new headers that came in yesterday from JetHot (originals cracked and I welded them). The clutch will be next weekend or later, but I am trying to get all the parts together well in advance.

Thanks for the advice!

replace the spring its cheap if you go with the SE spring be warned its heavy

Back