free website stats program Clutch slips | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch slips

67wizard

I have tried adjusting the clutch every way I can think of, but at 3200 rpm and hit the gas it slips. Not all the time tho ? Its got me puzzled. The only thing I have done is change the primary from formula + to spectro primary oil. I just wound if its too slick and the clutch just won"t hold. I only have 36K miles on the bike and it didn't slip before the change tp spectro in the primary.

Yes stone cold as it gets here in Nevada.The Derby pressure screw is set at a slight touch then back off one half turn. I also tired the other way, just alittle pressure on the clutch lever touching the handle bar screw in the pressure screw untill lever moves away from handlebars. Back out screw untill lever just touches the bar, back out screw half a turn. Thghten nut while holding screw so it don't move. Clutch still seems to slip. Next thing is to go back to formula + and see if that fixes it.

Yes stone cold as it gets here in Nevada.The Derby pressure screw is set at a slight touch then back off one half turn.

Sounds like the adjustment is in good order.

I have only heard of oils causing a clutch pack to slip if they contained Teflon or PTFE such as Slick 50 does. I don't believe that Spectro oil has PTFE's in it.
I would be surprised if the reason was the oil. But I don't know a lot about Spectro oils.

Only other thing I can think of is the diapham spring in the pack just may be weak. They are cheap ($35) and easy to replace. May be worth a shot if your up to it..?

Wow 36K on a 2010. You enjoy your ride. That's Good!:)

AS much as Spectro products are hyped by some on here, perhaps in your case it may have been incompatible since that was the only thing changed, and the problem was not there before you used it, I would go back with what you used, and if the problem remains, I would guess that the new fluid messed with the friction properties of the disc's somehow. If it goes back to normal, continue the use of your formula one.

Well today I changed the primary fluid back to formula+ and domped the spector. So far no clutch slippage, The weeend I will get to put some real milage on the bike and see how it holds up. I guess my bike is the only one so far that don't like spectro in the primary. Haven't seen any other complaints.

In an old thread you will find that I had the same problem.I think Spectro GL5 is the best trans. fluid I have run.The Spectro chaincase and primary oil and my bike don't get along.
I switched back to formula + but didnt like the parasetic drag when cold,which is why I tried Spectro in the first place.
I now run Bel-Ray chaincase and primary lube and I won't run anything else now.

So I'm not the only one, good to hear. It was driving me nuts. I couldn't see what I was doing wrong. I tried everything. I adjust the clutch the quick and easy way anr the book way. Around 3200 rpm grab a hand full of gas and it slipped.

Wizard, If you happen to know the bar code number of the oil that was slipping, I would like to check and see if it happens to have PTFE resins in it.

I've noticed some slippage with the Spectro chaincase oil after doing a SERT installation. I've only felt it in 1st gear on rather hard launches though. Also with me the clutch pack adjustment is set according to the service manual. Which resulted in no change in the behavior.

Will try the Formula+ next oil change (in a month or so after it becomes winter here..).

Wizard, If you happen to know the bar code number of the oil that was slipping, I would like to check and see if it happens to have PTFE resins in it.

Hoople
The bar code is 3155600012.
The bad thing is I ordered three quarts of this stuff because my primary holds 38ozs.

I've noticed some slippage with the Spectro chaincase oil after doing a SERT installation. I've only felt it in 1st gear on rather hard launches though. Also with me the clutch pack adjustment is set according to the service manual. Which resulted in no change in the behavior.

Will try the Formula+ next oil change (in a month or so after it becomes winter here..).

Safehaven
I had the 103 upgrade and 255 cams while using formula + with no trouble. I have seen alot of talk about spectro so I thought I would try it. Their six speed is ok so far but their primary lube is not for my bike. Not kicking their products by any means, just don't work for me.

Back