free website stats program clutch ring gear/jack shaft damage | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch ring gear/jack shaft damage

I'm new and computor lame. My problem is that I keep frying my clutch ring gear and jack shaft/starter on my 2000 FLHR. Fryed two starters and a clutch basket during the first 6000 mi. I finaly figured out that because I have a FLHR with a 103 kit I need a starter with more HP so I installed a 1.4kw to replace the factory 1.2kw. That kinda worked for a while but I would still hear and feel an occasional "bang" when starting up. I now realize that the "bang" sound was my 2nd clutch ring gear and 4th sarter motor/jackshaft self destructing. I'm currently taking it apart and plan to replace ring gear and starter with a 2.0kw starter motor. Will this finally give me a smooth start-up? I know I need a spacer for the oil spout clearance. Can anybody advise me? I understand I also need battery with at least 300 CCA and beefyer batt. cables. Can anyone help me? Please?!?!?!?!

shovel head dave

Do you know the compression ratio on your 103? When you had the motor bumped to 103 did you go with the new compensator set up? Do your heads have compression releases?

dont know comp. ratio or if its a new compensator set up. does not have comp. release. have heard a sesor may be sending bogus temp. info. thanks again for any help. im new to computors and am having a heck of a time replying to the reply. this is my third try.

shovel head dave

Didn't say if FI or carb. If carb are you running a different ignition system. If FI are you running any add on black boxes that would change your spark advance?

Start with checking compression when cranking using a compression gauge.

Fourth and last try, I gotta work on the bike. I don't know the comp. ratio. I don't know if it has a new compensator set up. It does not have comp. release. I bought the bike with the 103 kit already installed from a dealership. I don't trust them to do or know anything. Once bitten twice shy. They've already done me a bad turn. Thanks for showing an intrest. I'm very greatful for any help. I hope THIS reply to the reply gets out there. I'll get the hang of this eventually. thanks again.

shovel head dave

Just curious and correct me if I'm wrong, but a 2000 FLHR would have an 88 ci engine as stock. Was there such a thing then as a 103 ci kit? Largest I have heard of took the engine to 95 ci.

Yes they did have a 103 or 105 kit. It came with a new crank and rods.It changed the stroke.
tourbox

I feel your pain brother, I had basically the same problem. I have a 03 springier with an 88 ci. with milled heads and .030 head gaskets and screaming eagle ignition, pipes carb reworked, that sort of thing. I replaced the starter with a 2.0 and installed a 66 tooth ring gear and a 9 tooth starter drive with a 350cca battery and it solved my problem, hope this sheds some light on a possible solution for you.

Back