free website stats program Clutch replacement? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch replacement?

readski

Got an 86 Liberty 1100....<18000 miles.... up for sale....guy looked at it an said clutch adjustment is all the way out and it will need a new clutch....I'm not original owner... not sure about clutch life(I'm sure it's the original clutch)....Is what he telling me true?? I have not noticed any shifting issues.... anybody got knowledge of this?

Sounds like he's giving you a line. You can't tell the condition of the clutch just from the position of the handle. The position changes with the clutch adjustment and 18000 miles is not a lot of miles for a clutch unless it was abused. It more than likely just needs an adjustment.

He based his opion on the position of the nut where the cable goes into the case (said it was all the way out so clutch would need replacing)....He wants to spend $3000 and offered me $2500... thanks for you quick reply...this forum is great!

He based his opion on the position of the nut where the cable goes into the case (said it was all the way out so clutch would need replacing)....He wants to spend $3000 and offered me $2500... thanks for you quick reply...this forum is great!

He must be pretty good to be able to judge it by that. If we're talking about the same thing that's the cable slack adjuster, not the clutch adjustment. Why not adjust the clutch as per the manual and eliminate the controversy.

I guess I'm sort of a rookie (first harley...first bike in 20yrs)...He is talking about the slack adjuster nut....anyway the clutch cable broke at the lever and I haven't been motivated to get it replaced...too damn cold and snow...why do I live here(?)..... thanks for your info.... I may reoffer the bike to him with this knowledge.

Before giving up and offering the bike for a considerably lower price just because of a cable , you should replace the cable and get your price for the bike. Obviously the person buying it doesn't know what they are telling you because as the cable stretches this adjuster is used to take the slack out of the cable, nothing much to do with the condition of the clutch itself.

Yes you are correct...I would get more if I replaced cable.... as for the other info you gave me.... That is why I am glad to have found this forum....VERY useful stuff...I am certain to have more questions about my softail... THANKS GLIDER

Back