free website stats program Clutch Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Question

I know it's preference but I figured I'd ask anyway lol . Do you prefer a lighter or hard pull on your clutch . On my bike it's very light , meaning I have to pull all the way back to engage it to shift . At first it caused a lot of stalls . But after much practice and road time I've gotten used to it . Would a shorter or harder pull help with better starts out of the hole and starting on hills ?

The bike showing on your profile is a 2004 Fatboy correct. They typically have a harder pull clutch stock.
The fact that the clutch is "very light" I would bet that a easy pull update has occurred which adjusting may help. Do you have a master cylinder attached to clutch lever if so it is what it is for you can not adjust a hydraulic clutch.

I installed an "Easy Pull" option to help on my arthritis. It was getting quite painful to disengage the clutch to shift. Much better now!

The bike showing on your profile is a 2004 Fatboy correct. They typically have a harder pull clutch stock.
The fact that the clutch is "very light" I would bet that a easy pull update has occurred which adjusting may help. Do you have a master cylinder attached to clutch lever if so it is what it is for you can not adjust a hydraulic clutch.
Hydrallic clutch adjustment...

Remove derby cover. Loosen bleed screw with hose to redirect any fluid discharge.
Loosen clutch lock nut and screw in adjust screw until clutch piston bottoms out lightly. Tighten bleed screw and back off adjust screw 1/2 to 3/4 turn. This will give you full travel on piston. 1/2 to 3/4 "slop" will come out first time you cycle clutch lever. Tighten lock nut and reinstall derby cover.

If you do not have an adjustment screw in the center of the clutch hub, bleeding the clutch will do you NO good unless your master cylinder is EMPTY, there is NO adjustment unless you have a center screw, the new hydraulic clutches are self adjusting, that said it would not hurt to bleed the system once a year, fluid does break down. Buy only the amount of fluid you need, once you crack the bottle open it starts to take on moisture, nature of the fluid out of a sealed environment, top off all your other vehicles with what you have left over

HD14FLHTCUTG021.gif
If your clutch looks like this, you have No adjustment

Back