clutch question

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Turk55, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Turk55

Turk55 Active Member

So I had to adjust my clutch on my 09 SG went through the procses of backing off the cable so their was slack then backed off the lock nut then adjusting screw. Next turned in screw till it just bottomed out and backed it off 1/2 turn, locked down the lock nut while holding on screw from turning next readjusted the cable. Now here the problem, after doing all this when I shift into gear the bike still wants to move what could be causing this? :(

2. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

Did u take all the slack out of the cable collapse it completely? And I always run the Allen bolt in and out a few time then back off half a turn like you did never had any problems

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Cold adjustment, and steering straight ahead:s

4. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Try going as far as 3/4 turn on the adjustment and see if it helps. Do it stone cold too.

5. Jack Klarich

6. DFHarley19

DFHarley19 Active Member

That is key! I normally leave the bike alone over nite then work on adjustment.

7. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Perhaps what you are experiencing is clutch drag if correctly adjusted then some possible causes of drag are wrong grade of oil in the primary, warped clutch plates and a stretched clutch cable

Brian

8. Retrop

Retrop Active Member

I agree with that. Most any Harley clutch I have ever worked on will have some degree of clutch drag (even when adjusted properly) which can be exacerbated by primary oil which is too heavy, warped plates and/or a clutch cable which is out of adjustment.

9. Turk55

Turk55 Active Member

Thanks for all the input, clutch now working as intended :D

10. Jack Klarich

:s Good Deal thanks for checking back in:D