free website stats program Clutch Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Question

HDSickness

Banned
Noticed while riding my clutch lever will move move slightly, back toward grip while accellerating and forward when off throttle.
Adjustment is correct.
Do they all do this? I never noticed til I got this new bike.

Never heard about this problem before. Once you let out the lever and the clutch enguages I can't think of what would make the lever move. Maybe someone will check in with a cause. Could the clutch cable itself be hung up on something that is pulling and releasing as the motor moves?

Motor is smooth no unusual vibration everything as it should be just this issue and you could only tell if you kept hand on clutch lever while riding.

IMO a weak trap door compared to the 5 speed is the cause here

IMO a weak trap door compared to the 5 speed is the cause here

I think what has me puzzled is what exactly is moving? For the cable to push or pull the lever the outer ramp would have to move. For the outer sheath to move something would have to bind the inner cable or pinch the outer sheath. If the bearings in the trap door are moving back and forth would this cause the ramp to rotate?

I have the same thing going on with my 07 sportster,I have had a new clutch six months back & still does it.
It doesnt seem to be an issue,& has done it since I had the bike.

The O.P.'s post came to mind while I was riding today. I accelerated and let off and my lever didn't move. Then I applied just a little pressure to the lever and did it again. I'll be darned, my lever came back towards the bar a little bit, then pushed back when I let off!! I keep my lever adjusted on the loose side, your lever may not have enough free play if you see it move by itself.

Why does it do that? Some kind of gobblely gook centrifugal, physics that I don't understand are at work in the clutch pack.

I actully thought I might not have enough play so I gave it a little more free play in the handle and still does it. I guess its normal, not gonna stress everything works as it should and I only notice it when my fingers are on lever when preparing to shift or pull in clutch.

Lot of places between clutch to clutch handle that allows movement/clearances. Nothing with this many parts will be without it.... JMHO

Many Now will try this and find there's the same:bigsmiley5:

Don't Worry,,, Buy a 12 gauge, double barrel shot gun:breakdance

signed....BUBBIE

Back