free website stats program Clutch Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Question

Michigander

Hello,
New to the site this evening. My question is, is it a problem starting the bike without the clutch pack in place. I presently am working on my bike and have the clutch removed. While waiting for my parts to arrive I'd like to do a little tune up and need to run the bike. Just don't want to do any damage running it without the clutch assembled.
Thanks,
Michigander

So what type of engine and primary configuration do you have???

Hello,
New to the site this evening. My question is, is it a problem starting the bike without the clutch pack in place. I presently am working on my bike and have the clutch removed. While waiting for my parts to arrive I'd like to do a little tune up and need to run the bike. Just don't want to do any damage running it without the clutch assembled.
Thanks,
Michigander

You have the clutch plates and chain off?

If the mainshaft nut is in place and holding the clutch basket correctly and the chain is correctly adjusted and lubricated and you do not run it very long i would think it would be ok although the primary chain will flap about a wee bit and throw oil everywhere and would be a bit of a danger
I would tend not to do it unless i refitted the primary cover as at times like this something will end up contacting the spinning parts whether it is a dropped screw or tool or a body part

Brian

It is an open primary so there is no oil. I don't believe it would be a problem because the only difference is the clutch plates and pressure plate would not be in place. The clutch basket and hub are held in place with the hub nut. I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has done this successfully
Thanks

Back