Clutch Question

Discussion in 'Other Service and Maintenance' started by Michigander, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Michigander

Michigander New Member

Hello,
    New to the site this evening. My question is, is it a problem starting the bike without the clutch pack in place. I presently am working on my bike and have the clutch removed. While waiting for my parts to arrive I'd like to do a little tune up and need to run the bike. Just don't want to do any damage running it without the clutch assembled.
    Thanks,
    Michigander

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

So what type of engine and primary configuration do you have???

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

You have the clutch plates and chain off?

4. Michigander

Michigander New Member

Rev tech engine. Open primary with only clutch pack and pressure plate removed

5. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

Doesn't your starter work off the clutch? Oh, and welcome aboard the forum.:s

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

And the clutch shell and belt is still on?

7. Michigander

Michigander New Member

yes it is still on

8. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

What holds the clutch shell to the main shaft?

9. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If the mainshaft nut is in place and holding the clutch basket correctly and the chain is correctly adjusted and lubricated and you do not run it very long i would think it would be ok although the primary chain will flap about a wee bit and throw oil everywhere and would be a bit of a danger
    I would tend not to do it unless i refitted the primary cover as at times like this something will end up contacting the spinning parts whether it is a dropped screw or tool or a body part

Brian

10. Michigander

Michigander New Member

It is an open primary so there is no oil. I don't believe it would be a problem because the only difference is the clutch plates and pressure plate would not be in place. The clutch basket and hub are held in place with the hub nut. I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has done this successfully
    Thanks