free website stats program Clutch question | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch question

stevec314

My buddy just bought his first Harley and we both have noticed that the clutch seems to go out further as the bike gets hotter. I have noticed this with my Ultra as well. Why does it do that? Its not a problem but I need to learn somthing new today.

Heat expands the different parts in the clutch system changing the initial setting. The clutch should always be set cold and rechecked when hot .

steel plates are warped

What do you mean by that? I have an '09 and it does the same thing. I adjusted the cable for just a little freeplay while cold and by late in the day I have a 1/4" of clutch lever play.

Last edited:
It's from the heat expanding everything. After your 1k service you should notice a lot of improvement on your 09, at least I did. They all do it, I don't think anything is warped as everyone I know went through the same thing.

LJ

Normal if the plates were warped ya would start losing the clutch as it heated up

I got my 1k service done and I personally think they messed it up.

First run through the lever had over 2" of play - The tech did not tighten it up. So I had him tighten it up - then I took it on the ride and it was not smooth and was sticking on the release, by that I mean when I released it was not smooth, sort of knotchy. Took it to the Service Manager and he told me that was normal - I then asked him to show me on any one of the bikes he has in the garage and if it is the same then I told him I will shut up. He went to a bike and tried on three other bike and then looked at me and said I was right - finally he had his tech readjust it - it feels normal now...

What do you mean by that? I have an '09 and it does the same thing. I adjusted the cable for just a little freeplay while cold and by late in the day I have a 1/4" of clutch lever play.

In your case, I would adjust the cold freeplay to 1/8" or so, using Glider's method and video guide as reference. Minimum freeplay cold means the friction zone is in the middle of the lever travel for ease of use. :p

Noticed this morning that the clutch is grabbing again when it is 40% released. The friction zone is very minimal - will the clutch adjustment video be the same for 09 FLHX? I would rather turn my own wrenches if possible.

Thanks

Back