free website stats program Clutch Problem? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Problem?

remellon

Hi Everyone!

Is this a problem. When my clutch is engaged, my bike does not roll freely?

Some info:

2006 Sportster Custom [883]
I have a manual
The bike is currently in a few pieces
I have worked on the clutch and cable [adjusted and lubed]
The weather is going to be OK this weekend, so I might put her together to see
if there is a problem

Thanks

Hi Everyone!

Is this a problem. When my clutch is engaged, my bike does not roll freely?

Some info:

2006 Sportster Custom [883]
I have a manual
The bike is currently in a few pieces
I have worked on the clutch and cable [adjusted and lubed]
The weather is going to be OK this weekend, so I might put her together to see
if there is a problem

Thanks
Do you mean in gear and clutch let out the bike does not Roll?

Do you mean in gear and clutch let out the bike does not Roll?
Correct
When the hand control for the clutch is engaged and the bike is in gear and the clutch is out, the bike does not roll.

I plan on starting her up this Sunday, I just don't want any surprises.

When the engine is running in 1st Gear,, how far out from the grip can you release the clutch lever before the bike starts to roll.

Your posts are somewhat confusing to me but I believe you are saying the bike is not running and if you try to roll the bike with the clutch out while it is in gear it does not roll?

If this is the case that is how it should be. I would not try to start the bike while it is in gear whether or not the clutch is pulled in, make sure it is in neutral before starting and follow Jacks advice to correctly adjust the clutch.

I had similar question (handled by PM by Chopper). I've always noticed this with any HD, that engine off - pull in clutch handle - put in gear - will not free wheel. Seems strange, but its how it is

I had similar question (handled by PM by Chopper). I've always noticed this with any HD, that engine off - pull in clutch handle - put in gear - will not free wheel. Seems strange, but its how it is

Some times the engine needs to spin a bit for the clutch plates to fully release, dont ask me why, it is a clutch but a strange multiple plate one:p

Ya, we're all probably used to clutches in other bikes or cars. Dry - not oil bath. I'll take the time to learn all about them someday...

I've always noticed this with any HD, that engine off - pull in clutch handle - put in gear - will not free wheel. Seems strange, but its how it is

I thought you were kidding so I had to see for myself. Went out to the garage to try it and Your right! It sure does Not like to roll when in gear with the clutch in. I never realized that before. Good to know.:)

Back