free website stats program clutch problem | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch problem

Hey guys and gals, I have a problem with the clutch on a 1977, Superglide. It has all new metal and fiber plates. Went for a ride the other day and the clutch was fine! go to take it out the next day and the clutch started to drag(it was like power shifting the old beast). I adjusted the slack out of the cable, went down the drive way and it did the same thing. Could it be the pin that moves the pressure plate grinding it's self down, which intern is produceing the play in the cable? Eny input would be greeate!!!

The cable adjustment only adjusts the cable lash, adjust the clutch assembly under the derby cover.

Glider, I did adjust the clutch under the derby cover the book says the arm that the cable goes into should be a 1/2" away from the starter, the weird thing is I get that all set ride it for about five minutes come back and there is about an 1" of play from the arm to the starter.Thats leades me to think it is the rod wearing down,what do you think?

Yeah, did the first adjustment with the motor ice cold. That was when I thought I had fixed it. Rode all that day with no problem, Went to go out the next day and that is when all the slack started to appear in the cable adjustment, so I took the derby cover off and thought maybe the lock nut had loosened up allowing the arm to move back toward the starter,not the case everything was tight. I adjust the arm with the motor warm and diden't even get out of the driveway, after it was back together. I would pull in the clutch and the bike would want to lurtch forward so I shut her down. I think I'm going to ripp into her and see what is going on inside. Just wanted to see if I was missing somthing obvious with the adjustment part before I tear into it.

Before getting too involved in this issue, check the condition of the cable itself for lubrication and possibly the cable fraying which would lengthen it out as the strands break.

You know, I was wondering if the cable was stretching too,but thought it couldn't be that simple. Now that you said to take a look, I most certainly will. Keep your fingers crossed,that would be a easy fix verse ripping the clutch apart.Do you think the cable would start to stick as the broken stands bind up inside the cable housing?

It's quite possible that you would notice a difference in the clutch activation if the cables were starting to go but who knows for sure.

Back