free website stats program Clutch problem after cable change | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch problem after cable change

cdn-bigfoot

I just replaced my Clutch cable with a new Barnett Stainless Steel cable. It's supposed to be the right cable for my 2006 Dyna Street Bob. I have adjusted the clutch according to the HD service manual and even tried the "fool proof" clutch adjustment posted in this forum. Every time it seems I get proper feel and slack on my handle but the adjuster bolt on the clutch sits out quite a bit farther than before. Cable adjuster finishes in a good range. 1/8 inch slack at lever.
PROBLEM IS... pulling my clutch lever will not disengage the transmission. Rolling forward in gear and pulling in the clutch lever does not stop the engine from turning over. I've even tried starting the bike in Neutral and pulling the clutch lever then trying to pop it into 1st with a fistful of front brake. YIKES! ...grind, it won't go.

I have pulled the clutch lever watching the clutch actuate with the primary open. It looks to be moving properly. How much should it move?
I have even tried "over adjusting" the bolt adjustment in both directions. Same problem, clutch moves but seems to do nothing to disengage tranny from motor.

Clutch worked fine before this cable mod. I've adjusted my clutch before no problems. Do I have to go back to my old cable or have I done something wrong?

Check the 3 balls in the ramp that they are still in the proper places.

Just tore it apart. The balls were fine. Good thought though and worth tearing it apart to see.

While I had it apart I compared the cable throw (free cable beyond ends). The new Barnett cable has an inch less bare cable showing beyond the ends. My guess is the cable adjuster would have made up for this. Maybe not. I'll try the old cable again. If it works, my bet would be the difference in cables is outside of acceptable tolerence.

i had the same problem with same cable .. went to adjust it again b4 a trip then the cable broke dead center .. so i had a bad cable at least

i had the same problem with same cable .. went to adjust it again b4 a trip then the cable broke dead center .. so i had a bad cable at least

Sounds like your problem was a frayed cable that was hanging up and then it finally broke.
That's not my problem. Cable moves fine. Clutch moves as well, just maybe isn't moving enough?

mine moved fine to till it broke except i had the adjustment probs you do also

Sounds like you have the wrong cable...there should be little/no difference between the original cable and the new one by Barnett...

The other thing, did you do the clutch adjustment per Glider's attahed video "by the book?"

http://www.hdtimeline.com/transmission_clutch_and_primary_drive_train/3273-clutch_adjustment_video.html

Yeah. Adjustment by the book. And other alternate adjustments to try to fix the problem. Nothing works. I'll put on my old cable and see if it's good with that.
Sometimes just doesn't pay to buy stuff on EBay. I don't think this is even a Barnett cable. I got ripped off.

I will post my results with the old cable installed.

+1 on the issues with new clutch cable...

i have an 09 Crossbones...went up to 14" Outlawz and had to replace all the cables. went with Magnum Shielding.

throttle and idle cables went in fine. the clutch...well...

everything is installed <best i can tell> with no issues. when adjusting the clutch pack under the derby cover "by the book" and the way everyone online says to, i run into 2 issues.

Issue 1: when in gear and the clutch lever squeezed (after adjusting the clutch the way guys here say to), i cannot roll the bike (i.e. get the clutch to engage).

Issue 2: anticipating that the clutch plates are stuck together, I tried to start the bike in neutral to get oil worked in them...no luck. I cannot start the bike...it tries to turn over, but, ends up just "click-click-clicking" from the primary housing.

what i've done so far:
1. checked to make sure the ball bearings are all in their correct spot.
2. adjusted the clutch pack under the derby cover as per the guys on this (and many other forums/videos). i've even tried the adjusting rod at 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn, 1 turn, 1 1/4 turn, 1 1/2 turns...
4. battery is charged
5. it has gas and fuel line is connected to quick disconnect

what the heck?!? there's no way this should be this difficult and frustrating.

Ensure your new cables have the correct amount of "travel" as the OEM Harley Davidson cable for your model bike. I found that the replacement cables I had purchased had 1" less travel making it impossible to adjust. I believe there are "clutch cable adjustment" instructions posted in the Self Help section of this forum. Follow those to the tee.
Watch this video for some good tips.
Harley Davidson Forums

Good luck!

Back