free website stats program Clutch pack? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch pack?

socalrebel

My '89 883 I thought had lost the starter the other day. I worked all day yesterday and got the new starter put in only to find that was not the problem. It seems that when you hit the starter button the starter and ring gear turn, but the engine does not. My question would be is this in the clutch pack or a stripped or broken shaft that is internal? I am getting ready to tear it down again, but just thought I'd ask to see if I can cover all my bases. Thanks

Could be a few things including the clutch or the primary chain. Open the cover and you will probably find the problem.

Just prior to turning off the bike and then being unable to start it once again, was the bike running ok? Where you able to power forward & up shift? You did not mention any abnormal noise..

What the bike was like (noise etc) just prior to the breakdown can maybe shed some light.

Hoop!

I had the same problem and after spending alot of money on the starter i to think its the clutch. Is the ring gear attached to the clutch or do they come apart?

Back