free website stats program Clutch or primary noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch or primary noise

I just got back from a short ride, bike shifts great no clunking noise at all the whirring noise is still present and the faster i go the faster the noise gets, it almost sounds like when your brake pads are dragging on the rotor. could it be my primary adjuster pads are worn thru, my bike has 14,200 miles on it

Thanks for your help I will pull of my cover tomorrow and have a look (gotta go to work now). I read your tips on the self help section for adjusting the chain by accelerating and braking and will also try that tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help.

Glider, thanks again for all your help yesterday I got the problem figured out, it's my inner primary bearing going bad. I have done a little research and it turns out that MoCo put a bulletin out saying that they would replace that bearing free every 15,000 miles and then retracted the statement, I just left my local Harley dealer and they said they would try there best to get MoCo to pay for the fix, have any of you had this problem with an 06 dyna and what if any success have you had having MoCo pay for the fix.

Sorry for missing that one, there's a tip on the forum but I can't find it :D

They had owners sign a statement when the 6 speeds came out in the dynas in 06 that you would agree to have them change the bearing at 15K free of charge. Later on they went to an improved bearing (better) and didn't do this any longer. Yours is obviously one of the early 06 bikes that was involved with the bad bearing. Don't accept anything but a free replacement or call customer service. It shouldn't be a chargeable repair being they were aware of the problems with the early bearings and offered free replacements to the effected units.

Try entering your VIN here and see if it brings up the bearing issue.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/servicecheckup.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Thanks for the info ya my bike is an early 06 I bought it at the end of march 2006. I entered my VIN on the site you provided me and it didn't have a bearing replacement listed for the 15,000 mile service it just said to change out primary fluid which I do every 5,000 miles. I am gonna get in touch with customer service and see what they will do for me as well as pushing hard on the owner of my local dealer to make some calls also. Is the new bearing design different than what I have now or is this problem going to happen again? I have been searching for a sealed bearing similar to what they would use in a belt drive primary but haven't had any luck finding one, do you know of any available and once again thank you for all the info and help.

I'm trying to locate the bulletin if there is one and will post back here if and when I find it.

Can't believe I misplaced it :D

The replacement bearing is improved (different vendor) over the old one that wasn't holding up.
You may try calling customer relations and express your concern over having to do the job to your bike and also that you think it should be covered being they offered this to new owners in the beginning of the 06 model year. Let them know that you know about the issue.

Customer Service - Harley Davidson Community

You may contact Ozoneman here on the forum about what he received with his dyna and posted as follows...(he may be able to furnish a copy of the document)
Harley Davidson Community

"An inner primary bearing replacement is required at 15,000 mile intervals."

It goes on to say, "Harley-Davidson has preliminarily determined the inner primary bearing on your 2006 Dyna motorcycle will require replacement at 15,000 mile intervals. The bearing will be replaced by your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer at 15,000 miles and at subsequent 15,000 mile intervals, at no cost to you. This service requirement may change over time as we make improvements and monitor repair trends on 2006 Dyna motorcycles."

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with customer service, I only had to wait 5 minutes on hold! They were helpful and agreed that there is a problem with that bearing and told me as soon as my dealer verifies the bearing is the problem they would have it repaired free of charge!! Thanks so much for the info and help. The only drawback is that it is 85 degrees and sunny here in PA and I can't ride my bike, guess i'm gonna have to fire up my wifes purple Buell blast and cruise around on it. One last question for ya Glider, is it safe to ride my bike 5 miles into the dealer with that bad bearing or should I try to find a trailer and tow it in?

Back