free website stats program Clutch Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Noise

honez

I have a 2003 Road King. I just noticed a not normal sound that I think is from the clutch. When cold the noise starts as the clutch engages (a sound like a loose belt on a car) then fades when fully engaged. if I open the throttle with clutch engaged it returns briefly. Under load it comes and goes seems to go away the hotter the bike gets. At speed I can disengage the clutch and there is no sound if i dump the clutch at speed and a bit of throttle the sound is there. Do i need a new clutch pack or just an adjustment? The fluids are good and i dont feel any slippage. Thanks (Edit)there is no noise at idle in neutral or in gear only when moving under load no noise on down shift either just accelerating.

Last edited:
Wow quick reply!! The bike has 40k on the clock new to me bike just had it a few months not shure on past maint. how would i check clutch cond. I'm gonna adjust it today what suould i look for? Thanks

Checking for the thickness of the plates requires removing them and checking that way. Maybe try an adjustment first and see where that goes.

OK adjusted clutch, changed primary fluid. The noise is still there. The is very little clutch lever travel until clutch disengages about 1/2 inch at most 1st gear clunks more after adjustment. I think i need a clutch pack anyone concur, or could it be another problem. If I need a clutch where is the best place to order one. The motor is stock, stage one A/C and remap, D&D slipons.

Been looking at parts on line. I think that a clutch pack kit is in order unless anyone thinks that I should get the whole basket kit HD P/N:37802-98B

ok i rode to work last night and the noise was there and then the clthc release part went away. I wasthinking maybe it is primary chain related. I looked closely at the shoe and it is worn pretty deep the chinrivits are almost touching the shoe material. I'm thinking that under load the chain tightens up and makes the noise and when it gets hot the chain gets smaller and the noise goes away. think im gonna replace the shoe first. and see if that helps.

ok i rode to work last night and the noise was there and then the clthc release part went away. I wasthinking maybe it is primary chain related. I looked closely at the shoe and it is worn pretty deep the chinrivits are almost touching the shoe material. I'm thinking that under load the chain tightens up and makes the noise and when it gets hot the chain gets smaller and the noise goes away. think im gonna replace the shoe first. and see if that helps.

Not sure I completely followed what you said here, but if your primary chain tensioner shoe is very worn, and you are gonna replace it, why don't you look into the auto adjust tensioners. To my knowledge, there is a mechanical one (springs) and a hydraulic one available. I personally have the mechanical one on my '03 UC. It is the M6.

While you are at it, inspect the teeth on the drive pulley and the clutch pulley to make sure they are not overly worn. If they are OK, you might want to consider a new chain while you have it all apart. They are not very expensive, and you will have everything dissassembled anyway.

TQ

Thanks TQ,

I am leaning that way just replace it all, but i want to know what the cause is. in case irt is something that i dont replace. the chain and teeth look good I know i should do the clutch and tensioner at least not shure if the bearings in the clutch housing are the cause or what. I ride every day to work so i dont want much down time and I want to fix it only once. thanks for the input.

I replaced the primary chain, adj. shoe, comp sprocket and related parts and still had the noise. Mine ended up being the bearings on the transmission trapdoor. The clutch rod would wobble and grind off the snap ring that held the thrust washer and bearing on. Chasing noises isn't alot of fun. Take a look in the behind the clutch release cover.

Back