Clutch lever

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Johnbruno, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Johnbruno

Johnbruno Member

I just got my 2016 Switchback back from it's 1K service. On the way home I noticed the clutch had been adjusted. It engaged the engine in the middle of it's travel from fully in to fully out before I brought it in and now it engages at almost all the way out. I don't think I have the same amount of play in it now. It feels like as I let out the clutch it just grabbs at the end. My question is: is this normal? At low speeds I like to play the clutch and brake and I don't think I have as much control. Anyone rec doing the adjustment myself?
    Thanks for any input. John

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Clutch should engage approx.1" from bar to less than half way. So it is not normal now. Adjustment is not a hard task. Be sure bike is cold and completely collapse adjustment on cable first.
    See link below and click on link in Bubbies reply for instruction on how to adjust clutch properly.
    http://www.hdtalking.com/threads/clutch-adjustment.50207/#post-474857

3. Johnbruno

Johnbruno Member

Thanks dbmg. I'm gonna do it myself.

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Do you have a cable clutch or Hydraulic?
    If it is cable you can adjust it if Not there is NO adjustment

5. Johnbruno

Johnbruno Member

It's a cable. I traced it down to the boot covering the adj screws. I just can't imagine what they were thinking. Aren't they supposed to take a test ride? Thanks for the info. I didn't think it was right.

Jack Klarich likes this.
  6. joel

joel Junior Member

Had a friend visit from out of state that had stopped
    At a dealer for service and they adjusted the cable so much it slipped under load. Like maybe the lube dude had no idea of what he was doing. I back off the cable and he was good as new.

Jack Klarich likes this.
  7. Johnbruno

Johnbruno Member

I hope he didn't mess anything else up. I think I am gonna try another dealer.

Jack Klarich likes this.
  8. jamesearl

jamesearl Senior Member Contributor

My dealer has started calling after service now.It took 3 tech's to correct a chirp in the rear shock last time I was there.They asked if I would recommend them to any friends,I said NO!

Jack Klarich likes this.
  9. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

No and No.... You are correcting the error now. Be sure to check all fluid levels and air pressures also. Your owners manual has a checked list of what is recommended at service interval.

This is why you need to get a shop manual and start servicing your own bikes for 2 reasons,
    1.) Your bike will be serviced correctly and not just pushed through shop at dealer and not have a low level Tech work on your bike.
    2.) Save a bunch of money and the time wasted having to return to dealer which can be used to be out for a putt.

Jack Klarich and gator508 like this.
  10. Johnbruno

Johnbruno Member

I'm going to order a shop man this weekend.

Jack Klarich and HDDon like this.