free website stats program clutch lever | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch lever

Was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get the clutch lever back on. Have the cable loosened as much as it will go. Got it off no problem, but the white piece that goes through the cable end will not fit back in to the housing. I don't have enough slack to pull it out any further. just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. 2003 FLHR putting chrome levers on

How much slack should there be when it is loosened? I don't seem to have very much. it was a little tough getting off but I managed. now just cant get the pin that goes through the cable end back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
wish i could help, the only idea i have is how to let your clutch cable adjustment out so you have more slack then tighten it up to where it should be once your new lever is in.

i am sure someone will be along that can help soon

On my old Sporster I removed the handle and assembled the cable and then put the handel on. The bike needs to be level. Lastly the problem could be in how the cable is routed.

There should be an inch of free cable when the adjuster in the center of the cable (near the front exhaust) is backed all the way out. Make sure one of the cable ends is not hanging up on the adjuster.

Got it back together. Just had to take a brake and go back out to work on it again. Now if I can get snap rings back on without them flying all over the place

Had to shorten play on handle for clutch cable so put in a wood dowel along clutch lever to shorten distance. Not proper but it worked. changing fluids in spring and will shorten clutch cable in case at this time. FYI.

Back