free website stats program Clutch lever soft stuck in gear!!. | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch lever soft stuck in gear!!.

ZZroadking

I am hoping for a direction/help with non existant clutch lever feel. I have a 05 RKC. I noticed the last 3-4 days the clutch was engaging almost at the very end of the travel. Away from the handle bar. Well thinking there will not be many nice riding days like today soI took it out for a ride and stopped after 60 miles for lunch.
When heading back I noticed at one point the lever was sitting almost at the bar free play! Oh OH, well I was able to go through the gears up to 60mph (5th) gear and drove hoping I could limp it home 30 miles.. Wrong!! At a Stop sign approaching I could not get it to go down the gears ,STUCK in 5th.. I had to shut the engine off to stop.
I managed to get it in neutral. Started the bike no prob but when putting it into 1st (no clutch just hammered it in) it would stall.
I figured I could start it in gear and let the starter moter get me up to speed. It worked and I hammered it in to 2 and 3 and drove 30 miles in 3rd.
I checked the cable is not broke or jammed. Played with the adjuster cable still nothing.
Any help is appreciated.:(:(

On search line type in clutch adjustment. You will find a easy way to adjust clutch properly.

No nothing right to the bar.
First thing in am will pop the derby and take a better look (just happen to have a spare gasket as tomorrow is a holiday (Labour Day). Didn't want to do it while still warm. I am thinking something more than an adjustment though. thx will update.
Is there anything else to watch for when opened?

No nothing right to the bar.
First thing in am will pop the derby and take a better look (just happen to have a spare gasket as tomorrow is a holiday (Labour Day). Didn't want to do it while still warm. I am thinking something more than an adjustment though. thx will update.
Is there anything else to watch for when opened?

When you pull the clutch lever, is there any resistance, or is it completely "free"? Does it return to the full out position on its own, or do you have to push it back out?

TQ

i had a clutch cable fray a little and it didnt work the clutch at all it streched look at it closely it could be bad at the ball end where it is hard to see in the bracket where it pulls good luck

The moving of the lever did move the inside mechanism slightly as I could see a slight bubble of fluid being squeezed. Should there be a lot of movement? Well tried an adjustment but no effect. Can't even get it to become tight at the lever.Inspected it at the lever no fraying there. I suspect I will need a new cable as it must be frayed or stretched elsewhere.
thanks,,,

The moving of the lever did move the inside mechanism slightly as I could see a slight bubble of fluid being squeezed. Should there be a lot of movement? Well tried an adjustment but no effect. Can't even get it to become tight at the lever.Inspected it at the lever no fraying there. I suspect I will need a new cable as it must be frayed or stretched elsewhere.
thanks,,,

Sounds pretty much like your cable is breaking. You might pull the tranny dipstick on the side cover and peer in there to see if it is breaking at the nub. Usually these break at one end or the other, but not guaranteed. Could be anywhere.

If you get a replacement, go through the adjustment procedure. You will need to readjust after a bit since the cable will stretch some.

Cut the nub off the old one and pull the cable out of the sheath to see if/where it was breaking and let us know.

TQ

Back