free website stats program Clutch lever freeplay | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch lever freeplay

tsp45acp

How much freeplay should your clutch lever have? Mine has absolutely none, and since the 1000 mile service (switched to Amsoil syn),I notice that my clutch sometimes doesn't disengage completely and when I downshift multiple gears (as in slowing down for a redlight and holding the clutch in while I'm downshifting 4-3-2-1), When I think I'm in 1st, and let the clutch out (after light turns green), I feel the tranny clank into gear.

I asked the service writer dude about this when it wasn't doing it as much or as noticeable, and he said my clutch was adjusted just fine. I'm going back (as soon as I can get an early out from work) and tell them it NEEDS adjusting.

What say from the knowledgeable and experienced here? Thanks, Tracy

remember, don't just adjust the cable, do the whole thing by removing the derby cover and adjusting the pushrod. Chances are if part of it was done wrong, it was all done wrong.:(

Yea, when I took it back the first time, the mech dude just pulled on my cable REAL hard to try to stretch it out and give it some freeplay. It's under warranty, so they're gonna do something with it. I insist. Thanks, Tracy

Last edited:
Yea, when I took it back the first time, the mech dude just pulled on my cable REAL hard to try to strecth it out and give it some freeplay. It's under warranty, so they're gonna do something with it. I insist. Thanks, Tracy

Sorry, can't find that phrase anywhere in my service manual!

Yea, when I took it back the first time, the mech dude just pulled on my cable REAL hard to try to stretch it out and give it some freeplay. It's under warranty, so they're gonna do something with it. I insist. Thanks, Tracy

Great mechanic, talk to the owner of that dealership. Possibility he was trying to see how much slack by doing this but should have adjusted it then.

It should have 1/16" to 1/8" at the handle free play.

My clutch engages at the very end of the lever release (the last 1/2" or so), and has virtually no freeplay. The lever has constant pressure on it. It starts to disengage at about 1/4" pull inward.

It was bought new, so there was no pre-adjustment by someone else.

When I expressed my concern to the service writer dude, His response was not to worry about it, that it was under warranty for 2 yrs. I didn't say it then, but my feelings were--suppose I want to keep it 3 yrs and it needs to be replaced then. Now I have a little more knowledge, I won't be as "understanding". Thanks, You've "armed me with info", I might even be dangerous now. Tracy

Back