clutch installation question

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Colas LeGrippa, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Colas LeGrippa

Colas LeGrippa Member

Hi,boys and gals !

When I removed my starter for servicing, I noticed that one 7/36" bolt holding the clutch assembly had become loose, scratching the metal cover of the adjuster trap. At the time I have inspected the clutch, I had no idea of what I would find inside and no torque wrench neither to screw in the clutch hub bolts with the correct torque. If I remember, the right torque is 100 inch pound ( and not feet pound ). My question is: ( you can laugh here....) : when I screw in the 7/36" bolts, is the clutch spring plate supposed to turn over , or still got to be bent outward ? ( dome outward or dome inward)

Thanks

Colas

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

First, 7/36" is not a size I recognize. Please check your Factory Service Manual and see what it says.

I have included the Clutch Service section from the 2003 HD Dyna Factory Service Manual. We do not have the 2002 manual in the download section, but I believe this info is applicable. The procedure addresses your questions.

Cheers,

TQ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Colas LeGrippa

Colas LeGrippa Member

oops sorry, it is 13/32 " , not 36, of course. thanks for the link.

Colas

in fact the clutch pressure plate bolts are 10mm, which is equivalent to 13 / 32 " .
    regards

Colas

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2014
  4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

110 inch pounds, use a star pattern when tightening the bolts, the diaphragm faces down, or to the outside hope this helps, make sure it is in the groove

5. Colas LeGrippa

Colas LeGrippa Member

just to make sure, Jack : the dome side of the spring plate towards the primary cover and the dish side of the spring plate towards the clutch discs ?
    best regards

Colas

6. TQuentin1

Concave side inwards (towards tranny). Right.

Cheers,

TQ

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

:s Yup, be sure groove for ring is clean:s

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture of your clutch parts

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2014
  8. Colas LeGrippa

Colas LeGrippa Member

T Quentin : using the right and precise words for the right things helps a lot. I didn't know that «concave» was an english word. In french we use «concave» and the opposite «convexe» .

Cheers

Colas

9. TQuentin1

Same in English, but no "e" at the end. concave ) ... convex (

:)

Cheers,

TQ