free website stats program Clutch hub issue on a 1994 FLSTF | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch hub issue on a 1994 FLSTF

Bobby381

Hello,
I have a 1994 Fatboy and recently installed an Ultima 6 speed tranny. I rode it for a few months with no real issues. I noticed some noise commin' from the primary and opened it up to have a look. Well I found the oil looked like silver paint when I drained it and upon further inspection found the clutch hub assembly rubbing the inner primary case. I removed the primary chain,compensating sproket,and clutch assembly. The inner primary case is a little scored but not damaged severly. The clutch hub is the same scored but not hurt. Once everything was cleaned inspected and reinstalled the clutch hub slides back and forth on the tranny main shaft after the clutch hub nut is tight. This can't be good:( Does anyone have any ideas???

Hello,
I have a 1994 Fatboy and recently installed an Ultima 6 speed tranny. I rode it for a few months with no real issues. I noticed some noise commin' from the primary and opened it up to have a look. Well I found the oil looked like silver paint when I drained it and upon further inspection found the clutch hub assembly rubbing the inner primary case. I removed the primary chain,compensating sproket,and clutch assembly. The inner primary case is a little scored but not damaged severly. The clutch hub is the same scored but not hurt. Once everything was cleaned inspected and reinstalled the clutch hub slides back and forth on the tranny main shaft after the clutch hub nut is tight. This can't be good:( Does anyone have any ideas???

Mainshaft on tranny not correct application for primary and clutch hub

Hi
I've got the same set-up as you - same primary, and installed Ultima 6-speed last winter. Zero problems with it, though, but when I bought the bike long time ago the original owner had hammered around in the primary, making his own spacers and stuff. Needless to say, it was a mess, including the clutch hub rubbing the inner primary. I will check my parts manual (I can scan pages for you if you don't have one), but there are some spacers/shims secured with locking rings in there. It could be an issue with one of those...

Thanks for the reply. I did buy the bike used and had a similar problem with the primary a few years ago. I replaced the inner with a Harley chrome inner primary case. I may have created my own headache with this tranny swap. I tried spacing the clutch hub out from the inner and pushed the inner primary case bearing race,on the main shaft in to far. I had a friend fix that for me but still have the end-play problem on the clutch hub.

=================================================

Thanks for the reply. I measured the shafts on the Ultima and the factory 5 speed and they are the same. Not sure what to try next?

=================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Back