free website stats program Clutch Help!!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Help!!!!!

just got my first bagger/tour bike after YEARS of chops and modified cruisers. its a 2007 FLHTCU.

anyhow, the bike doesnt start to move untill the clutch is almost all the way out!!

needless to say, it causes funky take offs and can be a safety hazard as it takes so long to let out the clutch before the gears engage. and its winert here in Az and i am wearing heavier gloves and i really have to stretch my hand to get the bike rolling without the gloves, so withn them it is a real concern and hassle.

is this a simple adjustment on this bike? i was told by one person it is standard on these types of bikes [why would that be?]. i have had several other harleys and other bikes, road and dirt and my clutches were set to where i only got a bout 2 inches out from closed for the bike to roll.

advice? i did the search function but didnt see this problem.

NEW TO THE FORUM! looks awsome with LOTS of knowlegable posters. hi to all!!!!

Toonz

TQ:

thanx for the reply! however, the link you gave me was a guys electrical problem, not clutch.

searched the self help page and couldnt find my problem, only how to adjust clutches which i can do, but, i have never seen a clutch that has to travel out so far from the grip to engage! its a 2007 FLHTCU WITH 44,000 miles.

i test rode an 03 aniversary model that was the same way and thats when i asked the guy why the clutches were so long in travel.

he said that these bikes [i assume the flhtcu] were just like that. this statement by him and the fact another of the same model, different year had the same issue caused me to search out info.

Nope. These bikes aren't just like that. I would go through the clutch adjustment advice as mentioned above and then see where you are at. If you want a slightly sooner clutch grab or later just make the appropriate adjustments as the instructions say. I have worked on lots of the touring clutches and they can be setup up to engage almost as soon as clutch is starting to move. One last thing is wear on the plates too. Perhaps there isn't enought left for the spring to tighten?? Or one plate is missing? Just some thoughts.

TQ:

thanx for the reply! however, the link you gave me was a guys electrical problem, not clutch.

searched the self help page and couldnt find my problem, only how to adjust clutches which i can do, but, i have never seen a clutch that has to travel out so far from the grip to engage! its a 2007 FLHTCU WITH 44,000 miles.

i test rode an 03 aniversary model that was the same way and thats when i asked the guy why the clutches were so long in travel.

he said that these bikes [i assume the flhtcu] were just like that. this statement by him and the fact another of the same model, different year had the same issue caused me to search out info.

You are right mostly. Start reading about post number 39 in the link above. That is where the clutch stuff starts.

TQ

It does seem to be a complaint heard before. I've experimented with backing out the adjuster 1/4 turn and 3/4 turn. I can't remember which one helped but if you back it out 1/2 turn per instructions the clutch does seem to engage pretty far from the handle bar.

The Clutch CAN be adjusted to 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8 or One full turn out.

Most people like ME use the 1/2 or 5/8 turn out.

Not that hard to FIND the one You like. ALL of the above WILL work.:newsmile011: BUT allow different GRAB places from the handle bars.

signed....BUBBIE

Back