free website stats program Clutch fluid Boiling? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch fluid Boiling?

Corney2001

I have a 2015 Electra glide Ultra with a 103 motor. It has 32700 miles on it. I was riding in a Warrior Beach Retreat Parade. The temp was 92 degrees. Their was a lot of stop and go and reving of the motor and I used the horn ALOT. LOL Half way through the parade my clutch quit working. I called a buddy to bring a truck and trailer to take the bike to Harley Davidson. It took him about an hour to get to me. He tried the clutch out and it felt like it should. He test drove the bike in the parking lot and smoked the tire in 2nd gear.

I took it to Harley Davidson anyway. They said I had boiled the clutch fluid, so it would not work. When it cooled down it worked like it was to supposed to. They flushed the clutch and brake fluid, but said they could not duplicate the symptom. They also said you should change the clutch and brake fluid every 10,000 miles. Not according to the manual that came with the bike it says check every 5,000.

I wonder if there is a different hydraulic fluid which can be used in the clutch actuator which has a higher boiling point?

Over time the brake fluid boiling point does lower, the brake fluid is a magnet for moisture, anytime the cover is removed the fluid will attract moisture, as the seals deteriate, causing the fluid to darken, this again will lower the boiling point.
Keeping brake fluid as clean as possible by replacing and flushing is a simple way to prevent brake fade and or loss of proper clutch operation.

Back