free website stats program Clutch Engaged, Bike in gear, Won't start?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Engaged, Bike in gear, Won't start??

OK, I always thought it was a moco safety thing as my 08 Softail does not start in gear w/clutch in...hmmm

OK, I always thought it was a moco safety thing as my 08 Softail does not start in gear w/clutch in...hmmm[/QUOT
I have a 2011 Heritage, it will not start in gear with the clutch pulled in, must be in neutral, has been this way since new

I did not know this. I thought it was across all models. What other HD models don't have the clutch safety switch? Does anyone know the reason so do and some don't? :newsmile105:

My 08 Road King cranks just fine with the clutch pulled in and in gear. Is your jiffy stand up?

My 08 Road King cranks just fine with the clutch pulled in and in gear. Is your jiffy stand up?

I never really noticed that it wouldn't start in gear until a hot day this summer, while setting for a train. I shut my motor off, in gear, and went to restart after train cleared. I pulled the clutch in and nothing, kickstand was up. I rushed to find neutral and tried to start and away it went. This is on my 2011 Heritage.

I read somewhere that the dealer can deactivate the in-gear safety switch. Check with your service writer or better yet a quality technician.

Same problem with my 2009 SG. Dealer susposedly fixed it but now doing it again. Also, once it would not even turnover and the gages or nothing would light up. I had a new battery installed and wonder if the culprit is the negative bat terminal being loose?

I know that it should turn over in gear lever pulled as was said,but,I would suggest not to start the bike in gear as a general rule of thumb,it puts more strain on the starter and electrical system to start in gear I.E. more wear and tear....

I agree. This is plain to see on my SG that this is a strain on the system. I wish I had read this before I spent 200 bucks to have mine "fixed.":(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back