free website stats program Clutch Engaged, Bike in gear, Won't start?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Engaged, Bike in gear, Won't start??

bobbeidel

With bike in first gear and clutch engaged it won't start. I think it used to in the past but not real sure. Bike is a 2009 Road Glide. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Won't start, as starter won't engage? Did you recently change levers? The clutch lever has a spur that pushes a button to allow starting in gear with clutch pulled in. Some aftermarket levers don't have the spur. Picture shows button in handlebar housing.

Attachments

• brake switch 001 (640x426).jpg
    brake switch 001 (640x426).jpg
    183 KB · Views: 151
I had a problem awaile ago starting in gear. Having the clutch dsisengaged so the bike could roll, the starter turned over slow and the engine would not start. In neutral, it started fine.

I found that the ground connection on the battery was loose. It takes more current to turn the engine over in gear than in neutral. Tightened it up and now starts fine in gear or neutral.

I know that it should turn over in gear lever pulled as was said,but,I would suggest not to start the bike in gear as a general rule of thumb,it puts more strain on the starter and electrical system to start in gear I.E. more wear and tear....

I do have custom chrome levers, but the do have the spur. However, the spur is not large enough to activate the switch. That is the problem. If I build up the spur some with tape, the switch activates and bike starts with in gear. It did work once upon a time but something changed. Maybe the little micro switch is faulty. I have it working now with the tape, but I might just disable or by-pass the switch. I wuold rather be able to start bike without searching for neutral if I stall at a red light.

Thanks Breeze

I wuold rather be able to start bike without searching for neutral if I stall at a red light. Thanks Breeze

Starting in gear is just a bad idea. Kick her into neutral as you roll into the light.:bigsmiley12:

I always start in neutral, but agree that being able to start the bike in gear is a good thing. My aftermarket clutch lever did not have the spur to activate the switch. I built up a spur using JB weld, looked great, worked perfect for about 5 miles, then cracked and fell off.:( I ended up drilling a small hole and putting a tiny screw in. The screw head contacts the switch. I didn't even tap the hole, just sorta made it's own threads. There is not much pressure there at all. Been working fine since '09.

You would love my bike. It starts in gear clutch pulled or not! :D

Problem is when you happen to stall the bike when the light changes. We've all done it. So there is a semi barreling up your behind and you a sitting there putting bike in neutral. No thanks!

Back