Clutch cover help!

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by jeepin, Sep 17, 2011.

1. jeepin

jeepin Member

So I've tried a torx 27 on the clutch cover and have twisted off two bits. How the (EDIT) do I get these things off?!?!?!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Please read this...
    [note]
    A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
    [/note]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  2. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Once a Torx is ever so lightly spun in the head, It won't come out to save your soul...

A light duty Knock-off tool is needed to apply even, Quick pressure to get them out..

ME, I carefully use the right size torx bit and keep it straight and pushing in to apply even pressure and they POP right Loose..

I've had to do it the old fashioned way once with a chisel and hammer.. others Drill OFF the head and take out with fingers or a needle nosed pliers after cover is removed....

They can be a Real BUGGER....:naughty

signed....BUBBIE

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

4. jeepin

jeepin Member

When it says, use a drill, I'm guessing it means drill bit? I don't get, please exguse my ignorance

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

What you need to do is remove the head of the screw so that the clutch cover will come of and leave the threads in place once the cover is off all the tension is off the thread and the threaded part of the screw can be easily removed by hand or with a locking pliers
    it is the tension of the screw head against the clutch cover that usually makes these screws difficult to remove use a drill to drill the head off

Brian

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Very good read here, The captive washers under the bolt heads causes the problems, I use Antisieze here never had a problem :s

Use a quality drill bit, if you have a left hand bit some times you can spin the broken fastener out:s

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
  7. jeepin

jeepin Member

Check. Got it now, thanks for all the help.

8. IBA Harley

IBA Harley Active Member

I removed ALL the torx head fasteners on my Harley for this very reason. AHHHH... drives me crazy. :)

9. jeepin

jeepin Member

I can't stand torx bits, it still baffles me as to the reason of use.

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Easy for the robotics to hold them in place while assembling the cover:s