free website stats program Clutch cover gasket | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch cover gasket

horizonchaser

Contributor
I don't know what the heck happened, after typing a descriptive note of my gasket dilemma the post timed out or something! :(
Okay, very quickly before it happens again. I have an '03 Ultra. I changed the primary fluid today. I specifically told the HD dealer my model & year bike. I told him I needed a clutch cover gasket so he sent me on my way with an O ring type. When I got home and removed the clutch inspection cover i saw that it had a "pancake" type of gasket. That is to say it was one solid piece. I was puzzled because I didn't even see an O ring type in there that resembled the one that he sold me. Not to panic I was relieved to see that there was a groove cut out in the cover to accept the O ring type of gasket that he sold me but, It was too big!! I must've tried a half dozen times and it was too big! When I say it was too big I don't mean the groove, I mean the O ring's diameter. So I reassembled it using the old gasket cover. My question is: which is the right type of gasket? The O ring or the pancake style?
Thanks guys/gals

My bikes are older evo bikes and i have in the past used the o ring seals for the clutch inspection cover and they always seemed to be a wee bit too big and a real pest to get sat in the recess
However recently when i order a new o ring i get the flat pancake type seal which is much easier to fit
so in answerer to your question i think either or should work for you

Brian

The pancake gasket takes the place of the factory O Ring 25416-99C is the part number, I prefer the O ring, if your derby cover has a groove for it you should still be able to get it. The upgrade pancake type was placed in service to fit ALL the covers including the ones with out a groove

My bikes are older evo bikes and i have in the past used the o ring seals for the clutch inspection cover and they always seemed to be a wee bit too big and a real pest to get sat in the recess
However recently when i order a new o ring i get the flat pancake type seal which is much easier to fit
so in answerer to your question i think either or should work for you

Brian
Well I certainly agree with the much easier to fit part Brian. It was absolutely no trouble at all. In fact it was a breeze to put on compared to the over sized O ring. I was almost certain thast the O ring was the wrong type. I have tried and tried and there always seemed to be about a one inch loop of excess O ring that wouldn't seat!

The pancake gasket takes the place of the factory O Ring 25416-99C is the part number, I prefer the O ring, if your derby cover has a groove for it you should still be able to get it. The upgrade pancake type was placed in service to fit ALL the covers including the ones with out a groove
Jack, really appreciate the part #, you have given me some ammunition for when I go back to the dealer and tell him that it wouldn't fit. Unfortunately for me, the part # wasn't on the receipt so I really can't refute whether it is the right one or not because I have no way of knowing. Wait, I just had a brainstorm. I'll take back the one he sold me, ask for the one that you say is the right one ( I trust you) and then lay them one on top of the other and look for any differences between the two! If the one you suggested is smaller, BINGO! I'll get my dinaro's back! ( $$$)
I would prefer the O ring too but I may have to go the way Brian suggested if I am wrong. The pancake gasket is a cinch to install.
Thanks guys!

A trick that works when those O ring type are a bit too long is to put them in the freezer for a short period of time. They will shrink quite nicely, just be careful to not let it freeze and become brittle.

go back to the dealer and get the proper flat gasket... keeps oil in primary and off backside of derby cover. Or you can reuse old one but best to use new so it wont leak.

A trick that works when those O ring type are a bit too long is to put them in the freezer for a short period of time. They will shrink quite nicely, just be careful to not let it freeze and become brittle.
Thanks. I just might employ that trick if it turns out that it is the right one. I just can't believe that an excess of 1 1/2 inches hanging out of the groove is normal. :small3d031:

I have run into simalar situations with the O ring being to big, but not by 1 1/2" as you have encountered. I prefer the O ring to the flat gasket, and when they want to be fussy I find a few small dabs of High Tack evenly spaced around the groove will hold the O ring nicely while I fit the Derby cover. And I always wipe all gasket surfaces with Alcohol (either isopropal or denatured, saving the good stuff for myself) before any reassembly.

My primary is of a 1993. Even though they did a revision and just sell the "O" ring as an upgrade. My clutch derby cover is 3 bolts, where as the new ones are 5 bolts. They revised the derby cover to 5 bolt pattern because the 3 bolt pattern is usually over tightened by the rider and warps, causing leaks. I use a rubber mallet to flatten my derby cover out. I then will use the "O" ring they have now along with the flat gasket. They both will fit. Mine doesnt leak what-so-ever. If they gave you an "O" ring that is like you said 1&1/2" too big. Its the wrong one. They gave you the "O" ring that seals between the inner primary and the crank portion of the engine.

Back