free website stats program Clutch "clanking" sound | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch "clanking" sound

So I'm guessing if you guys replicate exactly what I'm doing to produce this sound..that yours does not do it?

Let me ask this. This is a used bike that I bought off the dealer, and I didn't think to enquire as to the prior service history. Is this something the dealer I bought from would have on file? And if I ask, are they obligated to give to me? Yes, I know. Wrong time to be asking these questions...thanks

So I'm guessing if you guys replicate exactly what I'm doing to produce this sound..that yours does not do it?

Let me ask this. This is a used bike that I bought off the dealer, and I didn't think to enquire as to the prior service history. Is this something the dealer I bought from would have on file? And if I ask, are they obligated to give to me? Yes, I know. Wrong time to be asking these questions...thanks

Actually it's a great question. One you should ask the dealer as soon as possible. Most dealers should extend you a 30-90 day warranty. Anyone else have experience with a warranty on a used HD from an HD dealer?

well I put the Glider adjust procedure on the bike, and no change.

I did some more testing on this and what I'm hearing is anytime I pull out from a complete stop - go 2-3 feet and do a quick pull-in on the clutch lever (releasing throttle) I get this metallic slap. I saw someone reference "chain slap" on something I read in another thread. Is this what I have going on? It's 100% reproduceable.

Do I have the primary chain slapping around in the case...or possibly something else going on I need to look at..any advice much appreciated -

Hey bro,
I have a '08 SG with 43,000+ miles and I went around and around with this issue from day 1. It is normal as per your explanation. It has been explained on the forum and by my indie (not they all do it) as backlash in the primary chain. Have ridden several '08's and '09's and yes, "They all do it". :) Hope this helps.

Of course a "type" of sound is hard to describe over the internet but I don't agree. There is not enough lash in the primary chain to make that kind of sound. (metallic) The sound may be caused by chain lash, but the sound is not coming directly from the chain itself.

But the sky is not falling either. My drivetrain does it if I really try and force it to do it. But it's not coming from the primary area.

Of course a "type" of sound is hard to describe over the internet but I don't agree. There is not enough lash in the primary chain to make that kind of sound. (metallic) The sound may be caused by chain lash, but the sound is not coming directly from the chain itself.

But the sky is not falling either. My drivetrain does it if I really try and force it to do it. But it's not coming from the primary area.

hmmm, I haven't ridden a dyna so couldn't tell ya'. Just know it sounds like my bike and the other '08 or later touring models I've compared it with. 3 months ago my friend bought an '08 SG with a little over 5000 miles on it and I rode it home from the dealer for him listening for that exact sound/drive train tolerance/backlash in the primary chain etc. and it was there. Hopefully, trvlr will get a fix or response from the dealer so I can get mine fixed after 43,000 miles.

I just got this thing Glider!! Well I do have the manual now.

To further describe, as I'm relasing the clutch and starting forward motion, I'm only going 2-3ft before pulling the clutch lever back in, and it slaps everytime. So I'm not getting a full release of the clutch lever with each instance that this occurs. I've not checked on doing a full release of the clutch lever and seeing if I get this symptom, now that I think about it.

I note this as not sure if it's makes any difference in evaluating if I have an issue - gratzi -

2009 FLHR,
I can Make mine do the same noise!!!!!! If I use the clutch lever like you said, I do make a noise or a Clank like you describe... It is what it is, A Clank. I find it to be Normal on my bike from letting in and out rapidly on the clutch handle
"Makes the drive-train Move,,,, Slack IN and Slack OUT..." Clank-Clank

Most others don't duplicate the same motions that you are doing and don't hear it!!!

If you move the clutch Excessive in and out taking up the Slack just to the point of grab and release, back-n-forth several times "Fast", You could wake the neighbors...

Mow that is my take on it... And NOT all bikes do it, Just Yours and mine, The good bikes!

signed....BUBBIE

2009 FLHR,
I can Make mine do the same noise!!!!!! If I use the clutch lever like you said, I do make a noise or a Clank like you describe... It is what it is, A Clank. I find it to be Normal on my bike from letting in and out rapidly on the clutch handle
"Makes the drive-train Move,,,, Slack IN and Slack OUT..." Clank-Clank

Most others don't duplicate the same motions that you are doing and don't hear it!!!

If you move the clutch Excessive in and out taking up the Slack just to the point of grab and release, back-n-forth several times "Fast", You could wake the neighbors...

Mow that is my take on it... And NOT all bikes do it, Just Yours and mine, The good bikes!

signed....BUBBIE

I can get my bike to do that in fact I could get all my bikes to do that not that I wanted to its just the pushrod making the noise I think:D

2009 FLHR,
I can Make mine do the same noise!!!!!! move the clutch Excessive in and out taking up the Slack just to the point of grab and release, back-n-forth several times "Fast", You could wake the neighbors...

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, can you tell if the noise is coming from the primary area or the gear box. If the noise is coming from the primary area,, my guess is the noise would be gone if there was a SE compensator installed. I keep thinking it's coming from a compensator that has a weak compression spring washer. Mind you, it's not going to hurt anything. It's just the noise created by the 3 slots climbing up onto the 3 triangular ramps & when you pull in the clutch, they slide back down under spring force.

Yes? No? Maybe?

I was going to try Glider's method on my Limited but I read a post that said to put in first with the engine off and rock it backwards and forward a few times and it would tighten up the adjustment. I did that and it really quieted it down. I was very please with how quiet it is now. It really had that sewing machine sound and now it doesn't.

Appreciate the additional comments on this. I just today got me a bike jack so was still trying to pull all my processes together to pop that primary cover off and start exploring. By some folks comments, sounds like I may be chasing my tail on finding a fix to eliminate the noise. I have to say, I did stop by the local HD Service dept last week, for the first time, and ran this by them. The guy said if I was tuning into all the noises these bikes make, to be glad I didn't have a Sportster. And honest to goodness he ultimately got to the line that "they all do it". I just shook my head in agreement, and said yeah, that's what I"ve heard. LOL.

I'll do me a clutch adjustment at a minimum. Getting ready for the 10k service and taking a 3-4 day road trip down to the Keys this weekend. Trying to get down there before the oil slick hits the shores. They're saying it's just started getting pulled into the "loop current" that runs in the gulf, and should be there within another week or so. What a drag.

Back