free website stats program Clutch Cable Routing, Road Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Cable Routing, Road Glide

LtDan1

Not sure if this should appear here or under "transmission/clutch" issues. I'm planning to change my handlebars. While deciding how I want to do it, I've been looking hard at the stock clutch cable route, and the way it really seems to pinch with bars locked left - - - I guess it's "OK" if hazta be that way --

But while I'm doing all this and probably changing the cable anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has done a cleaner reroute, if so, where they ran it, and how much extra cable it took for the re-route part of it -- not including whatever extra cable they had to have for taller/longer bars.

I'm planning the Khrome Werks Wide Sweeper +2" -- as I'm 5'5" w/ 29" inseam -- I need the bars back at me more, but really not much higher. I think the 2+ sweepers will accomplish that. People have done these bars and gotten by without new cable, but they've also talked about notching the nacelle, etc., (which I'm not that crazy about doing) -- re-routing the cable, etc. So, given that I don't like the stock routing to start with, while I'm changing it . . . (?) -- Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

I had the +2 Sweepers on for awhile and liked them. As I recall, the brake line was the only thing that needed to be adjusted. Just loosen up the banjo bolt a tad and move it to an angle that puts less stress on it. I've never heard anything about "notching the nacelle" and wouldn't put those bars on if you had to. The clutch line is just fine where it is.

Not sure if you can make it out but I routed the clutch cable on my 2010 Fat Boy on the right side of the steering neck. There is hardley any kink in it this way.

The attached picture is of my old 2005 Fat Boy which I routed the same way.

I also did this on my old Street Glide but had to take the fairing front cover off.

Attachments

• FatBoy (18).jpg
    FatBoy (18).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 36
I had the +2 Sweepers on for awhile and liked them. As I recall, the brake line was the only thing that needed to be adjusted. Just loosen up the banjo bolt a tad and move it to an angle that puts less stress on it. I've never heard anything about "notching the nacelle" and wouldn't put those bars on if you had to. The clutch line is just fine where it is.

Thanks for the input and I'm Agreed on notching anything. Not going there, but I'd be willing to buy a longer cable if I needed one. If these bars are as different as I'm hoping, it looks to me like my cable is going to making quite a stretch. It already pulls pretty taught on a hard right, which hardly ever happens anyway -- but hard left is locked forks and that happens a lot -- and at that point it's pinching in 2-3 different places -- Just seems like there oughta be a way . . .

Not sure if you can make it out but I routed the clutch cable on my 2010 Fat Boy on the right side of the steering neck. There is hardley any kink in it this way.

The attached picture is of my old 2005 Fat Boy which I routed the same way.

I also did this on my old Street Glide but had to take the fairing front cover off.

Thanks for the photo! I was able to make it out well -- and that right side idea is an interesting one I had not considered. I have all the RG Nacelle stuff to deal with, but as I'm going to have some of that off changing brake lines anyway - - - I'm going to play with your idea and see if there might not be something workable there for me. I also like that cable clamp you have coming off the right side down-tube. Is that stock to that bike? Or is that an aftermarket item I'd pick up somewhere else?

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the photo! I was able to make it out well -- and that right side idea is an interesting one I had not considered. I have all the RG Nacelle stuff to deal with, but as I'm going to have some of that off changing brake lines anyway - - - I'm going to play with your idea and see if there might not be something workable there for me. I also like that cable clamp you have coming off the right side down-tube. Is that stock to that bike? Or is that an aftermarket item I'd pick up somewhere else?

Thanks again!

You can pick up the clamp at a Harley dealer. On my 2010 I also installed a short piece of fuel line over the cable where it rubs the bars not that i had any wear.

You can pick up the clamp at a Harley dealer. On my 2010 I also installed a short piece of fuel line over the cable where it rubs the bars not that i had any wear.

Thanks. I've since been out to the garage to check out that right side idea, and it looks like regardless of where I bring it up from the right side I'll still have a cable crossing over in front of the RG style Speedo/Tach -- Might be more visual interference than I want on the RG style gauges, but while I have it all apart I am going to play with the idea and see. Thanks again!

Back