free website stats program Clutch Cable Lube tech tip testimonial | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Cable Lube tech tip testimonial

BOBFLHTC

Last winter I took my clutch cable off and it was so stiff I couldn't slide the metal cable in the sleeve by hand. I had been squirting Bike Aid into the top periodically. I tried the Tech tip I found on this site suggesting using a zip lock, oil and a rubber band and hanging the cable up for a few days. This weekend I took the cable off to see how it held up and it was easy to move the cable with just two fingers. I plan to do the same once a year.

This time I didn’t bother with the rubber band this time. I cut a small hole into one corner of the bag and inserted the top of the cable in. I secured the bag to the cable with black electrical tape just below the plastic top. I hung it up and poured in about an ounce of Bike Aid and let it sit overnight which was sufficient to allow the oil to run out the other end.

The main reason I had the cable off was to install a HB125 Hydraulic Primary chain tensioner and new OEM clutch plates and friction disks. Everything was working alright but with 80,000 miles I thought it was a time. I’ll have to do some driving to see how that works out.

Prior to the clutch work I rode it up on my 4X8 trailer in case I did more harm than good and needed professional help. I moved the trailer with bike into the garage and turned on the space heater. Having the bike up higher was easy on the back and the floor of the trailer made a good work bench.

Thanks for the help.

What I did when I first got this used bike was to remove the stiff cable from the left lever, hold it vertical, slowly drip about 30 drops of 3 in one oil into the conduit while moving the cable in and out as necessary. It's been free and easy for the last 4,200 miles. I'll just do that same thing every 5,000 mile oil change and clean the bottom of the cable if necessary. Still wondring how to lube the twist throttle friction spring though?

Last edited:
Back