free website stats program Clutch cable fluid leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch cable fluid leaking

YellowHawk

I noticed a couple of days ago that there is fluid leaking from my clutch cable about midway between the clutch handle and where it goes under the bottom of the bike. There is a rubber boot that covers where the cable connects and swivels. It's leaking there under the boot and running down the cable. It doesn't look like that connection can be tightened in any way. Anyone else seen this problem or know what to do about it? It's an 06 Super Glide.

I noticed a couple of days ago that there is fluid leaking from my clutch cable about midway between the clutch handle and where it goes under the bottom of the bike. There is a rubber boot that covers where the cable connects and swivels. It's leaking there under the boot and running down the cable. It doesn't look like that connection can be tightened in any way. Anyone else seen this problem or know what to do about it? It's an 06 Super Glide.
If there is oil running out of it, it's because someone used to much of the wrong lube on the cable. The connection you refer to is the cable adjuster. I would remove the whole cable and flush the oil out of it with "Berakclean" and re-lube it with Dri-Slid or one of the other DRY cable lubes.
Call HD Customer service and give them your bikes vin# and ask for a new owners manual, it's free. 1-414-343-4056

One more thing to check is the trans vent tube. It's an inverted "J" between the inner primary and trans and if it's blocked, the pressure will push the trans lube up the cable and leak where you see it coming out.

One more thing to check is the trans vent tube. It's an inverted "J" between the inner primary and trans and if it's blocked, the pressure will push the trans lube up the cable and leak where you see it coming out.
Only time I've seen that the oil was leaking from where the cable goes into the clutch ramp cover, but if that fit was tight it sure could force oil out the adj.

Only time I've seen that the oil was leaking from where the cable goes into the clutch ramp cover, but if that fit was tight it sure could force oil out the adj.

Could be missing the "O" ring that goes on the end of the cable before screwing it into the cover.:s

Could be missing the "O" ring that goes on the end of the cable before screwing it into the cover.:s
O ring wasn't missing or ruff, Bike had been in storage while a Marine buddy of mine was out saving the world and a bug got in the vent, it died there and stopped up the vent.
Of all things a 20yr old HD tech found it while he was doing the Neutral light switch recall service. :unsure

Back