free website stats program clutch cable fiasco | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch cable fiasco

jerryw618

hello all and HELP!!!! i went to adjust the clutch and the cable housing came apart at the primary cover and started leaking so i went to the dealer for a new cable , they said i need to take the primary cover off to replace the cable , give me cable kit , gaskets , primary fluid . went home checked the manual for my 07 883L it wasnt too clear , diagrams show entire cover off , so i loosen cable remove lever side . move to primary drain fluid, take inspection cover off hex,nut trun screw till clutch release comes off. , then tried to remove primary cover . came undone and i had too force it off of the shifter shaft. (yes i removed shifter arm) kinda had to pry it off, was very clean in there everything looked fine , so i changed cable reassembled everything , ( now i realize i didnt need to take the entire primary cover off i coulda done it thru the inspection cover) adjusted things by the book , have done it several times before no problems , til NOW now my clutch is sticking . like its not realeasing all he way , bike pulls when i come too a stop and almost stall and im having trouble shifting gears , i readjusted clutch by the book , checked fluid 1 qt is fine checked primary chain its adjusted ok, , could i have bent the shifter shaft ? thats all i can think of ? i dont know what could have gone wrong? the only difficulty i had was getting the cover off the shifter shaft . but its not really safe to ride like this and/or ill burn up the clutch or destroy my gears , this is my only means of transportation so i need it running ASAP . thanks in advance ride safe everyone

First thing that comes to mind is did you adjust the clutch with the engine absolutely cold? It will make a difference in operation.

Dont know about sportys but in 07 on the big v-twins they changed the clutch cable pull.Are you sure you got the correct cable? Maybe you can compare the old cable to the new one.Good luck..

if it is the same cable adjust clutch set screw to where you feel it just snugs then back it 1/4 turn then adjust cable till you have about 1/16 to 1/8 inch at lever should do the trick. those gents should have told you you do not have to take your whole cover off. good luck

Back