free website stats program Clutch/cable adjustment ??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch/cable adjustment ???

Biffy08

Hey all. :s
Just put a new clutch cable in my 2008 Ultra. Everything seems to be fine (no slipping, grinding, chattering), so I think I installed it correctly. Since coming off of Evo Road King with a 5 speed, the trans on the Ultra seems loud and clunky. Is that just the way they are? The shift from neutral to first is very rough! But all of the other just seem to be clunky. My Road King was so smooth. Someone last night told me that the factory leaves a lot of material on the gears which could give this charecteristic. Does anyone have an opininon about this?
And my real problem is: I want the clutch to "grab" closer to the handlebar. Currently, I leave the clutch lever halfway out before it starts to grab. I like a lot "closer" of a clutch! And I don't know how to get this to happen and don't even know if this is a good thing to happen? Any advice on this one? I have adjusted the adjuster on the cable but is there another area to adjust?
THANKS!! :s :s :s

You have to adjust the clutch pack itself in the primary case, what you adjusted was only the cable free play. When you do only back the adjuster out 1/2 turn instead of the recommended 3/4 turns and it should get you closer to the bar. Best bet is to get the service manual.

Harley Davidson Community

The 6 speeds are like a box of rocks compared to the 5 speed evo days.

Also when shifting into first from a stop, pull the lever in and wait a second or to so the gear can stop spinning and it will minimize the clunk into gear.

You have to adjust the clutch pack itself in the primary case, what you adjusted was only the cable free play. When you do only back the adjuster out 1/2 turn instead of the recommended 3/4 turns and it should get you closer to the bar. Best bet is to get the service manual.

The 6 speeds are like a box of rocks compared to the 5 speed evo days.

Also when shifting into first from a stop, pull the lever in and wait a second or to so the gear can stop spinning and it will minimize the clunk into gear.
Thanks glider! I do have the shop manual and would not have attempted without it. But I did think about the primary area and just needed some confirmation. Appreciate your opinion!:)

Hey glider, this is from the HD Community link: It's better to adjust the clutch so that it starts to grab at least an inch or more from the bar for complete disc separation, which translates into better/quieter shifting.

If I adjust the clutch pack so that the clutch grabs about 1/2" off the handlebar, am I prematurely wearing out the transmission/clutch?

Hey glider, this is from the HD Community link: It's better to adjust the clutch so that it starts to grab at least an inch or more from the bar for complete disc separation, which translates into better/quieter shifting.

If I adjust the clutch pack so that the clutch grabs about 1/2" off the handlebar, am I prematurely wearing out the transmission/clutch?

Not enough free travel for the clutch to operate correctly, this will cause wear and tear and hard to find gears including nuetral

Like Jack said, not enough separation of the plates caused by an improper clutch adjustment can cause a host of problems.

You may also have an "apples to oranges" comparison going. Does your "Evo Road King" have the older style hard pull clutch? In part, to get the easier clutch pull on the late model machines, the mechanical advantage needed to be changed. Simply put, the same lever movement on the newer machines moves the clutch pressure plate less than on the old machines. With a smaller total amount of movement available, the choice of friction point vs full disengagement becomes a matter of design rather than personal preference. You can no longer have the friction point close to the handlebar AND get full disengagement of the clutch.

Hey thanks to all. I am learning to live with it and love my new machine! I never had a problem finding neutral on my Road King but it did not, and from what I understand, could not because of the mechanics, be shifted into neutral from second. Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Back