free website stats program Clutch / Belt Inspection Cover seal leaks! | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch / Belt Inspection Cover seal leaks!

hogsolo

I've had an ongoing issue with the clutch / belt inspection cover seal leaking. The dealer has replaced it several times with a paper one ( supposedly an HD official part) then finally found an supplier for the old version which did not leak. I had the clutch replaced recently and I guess they used a "new" style one and it leaks. It's easy enough to change out, but I need to know the part number or what to look for to get the right one. Has anyone else had this issue?

tn339s3.jpg

The gasket is actually a rubberized "gray gasket" and the two fasteners have O-rings...quite honestly I have never developed a leak and never replaced it. They may have replaced that gasket if it is indeed a paper/fiber one, but did they replace or forget to install the O-rings? Take a look and a picture of what they put in.

Try putting the cover on a known flat surface like a glass mirror, glass table top or granite counter. See if the cover is warped. That might explain the problem getting a seal with the stock gasket. If it is warped (you get a wobble back and forth or up and down on the flat surface), then you know your path forward. If not, then the cover may be damaged, and your best bet is a thicker gasket material like a 1/16" neoprene sheet cut to shape or something like that.

Good luck.

TQ

Way cool Chopper, I was wondering from the OP when he described a "paper" one. The PDF you posted indicates the new one is metal backed foam...so it could be possible they put in an aftermarket one...and question still remains, did they replace the O-rings on the fasteners. The leak could be from either place.

I was wondering from the OP when he described a "paper" one.

When I hear of these paper gaskets that leak or really don't look OEM it reminds of what happen to me a few years back while working on my Yammy. I needed a few gaskets and I had the part numbers. I called up my local Yammy dealership and asked him if he had those gasket numbers in stock. Without taking more than 2 seconds he said YES! I asked how he could look them up that fast because there were 3 part numbers. He told me they MAKE ALL their gaskets. They had this plotter and software program that cuts out any gasket they need. On top of that, they charge Full Yammy MSRP price.

I did not like the whole idea of that and ordered what I needed on-line. You just never know what some people will do to increase profits.

The chart is way helpful Chopper, but now I can't get the allen screws out. One is stripping and the the other is also so tight I can't budge it. When I do get them off I will need new allen. Can anyone suggest some?

When I hear of these paper gaskets that leak or really don't look OEM it reminds of what happen to me a few years back while working on my Yammy. I needed a few gaskets and I had the part numbers. I called up my local Yammy dealership and asked him if he had those gasket numbers in stock. Without taking more than 2 seconds he said YES! I asked how he could look them up that fast because there were 3 part numbers. He told me they MAKE ALL their gaskets. They had this plotter and software program that cuts out any gasket they need. On top of that, they charge Full Yammy MSRP price.

I did not like the whole idea of that and ordered what I needed on-line. You just never know what some people will do to increase profits.

Hoople not to give support to the Yahama dealer, but have you priced the cost of a good plotter and the supporting software? Seems like if a dealer is willing to support his cust. base by having the resource to make what you need onsite he is making sure you don't have to wait for the parts truck. Just my humble opinion

The chart is way helpful Chopper, but now I can't get the allen screws out. One is stripping and the the other is also so tight I can't budge it. When I do get them off I will need new allen. Can anyone suggest some?

Hogsolo, STOP...the dealer may have done a no-no and put Red Loctite on the fasteners. Take a look at the one you got off...if it is reddish in color, you will need heat (hairdryer or heatgun) and tight fitting allen wrench of the proper size...! Don't ask how I know (about fasterners and red Loctite) :newsmile030:

Back